What's new

Intake manifold and EGR cleaning on i-CTDi

I'm actually currently running a bottle of Forte Diesel cleaner, so far car seems a lot better. Has certainly cleared up the little smoke on start up in the morning. With me now working in the city center i do very little miles so needed something to help the car. Might strip down the inlet etc. on weekend also to just give it a clean.

Noticing a bit of smoke this am so BG244 doing its work!

Any thoughts on removing the fuel rail and inlet manifold from anyone?

I wouldn't remove the inlet manifold until it causes a real problem... a build up of soot isn't really a significant issue. Problems with the IMRC/swirl valve are often because of the EVR actuator, so do check that this is working OK (no vac leaks & filter OK), It wouldn't hurt to clean up the EGR valve as well (which will also have an EVR actuator, if your Accord is a facelift model).

So one member adds a cleaner and reports less smoke, while another adds a cleaner and reports more smoke. I'm not sure what to make of that!

My mech will be in hand re the manifold so thinking of giving a go....will report back.....will clean the butterfly element at the weekend only and see how it goes....the actuator has been checked and appears to operate ok...but understood it may be weak.

Re the smoke I think the idea is that initially you can expect more smoke as the cleaners is working and thereafter there should be less smoke as the deposits have been removed?

Egr is blanked in this car and I tested the imrc myself and it passed on all 3 angle tests.

I believe the actuator is most likely ok but the flaps themselves are coked up causing the problems. Although the egr is now blanked it's already caused the build up over time

Thanks Fahad, quite looking forward to getting my hands dirty at the weekend....and even more seeing the impact from removing and cleaning the inlet manifold itself! I am sure a clear air flow will make a big difference!

Simon1602 said:
Thanks Fahad, quite looking forward to getting my hands dirty at the weekend....and even more seeing the impact from removing and cleaning the inlet manifold itself! I am sure a clear air flow will make a big difference!
Indeed, do keep us updated. I'm hoping that a good clean of the inlet system should help the car overall. I dont see any harm in doing this providing you do it right and I think it should help in some shape or form.

Hello guys!
Can anyone help because I can't see the images i cleaning the intake manifold and EGR and I was going to do the procedure this weekend.
Thank you in advance!

Have it blanked and remapped instead. Permanently fixed.

m.manov said:
Hello guys!
Can anyone help because I can't see the images i cleaning the intake manifold and EGR and I was going to do the procedure this weekend.
Thank you in advance!
Do you actually have a problem with how the engine is running?

If it's running OK then leave it alone!

I think that I have a lag in the low rpm and the car is accelarating slow in my opinion (again in the low rpm). I am the second owner of the car and I think that nothing was cleaned ever ... Because of that I think that I should clean the butterfly valve, airflow sensor, EGR and may be intake manifold ... I am not sure that there is problem with the car because I didn't drive the same car to compare but I think that it's good for the car to do it at least once .. what is your opinion?

Even at over 180k miles my intake has never been cleaned and the EGR valve has only been cleaned (by me) once, about 50k miles ago. These are not service items and should not need regular cleaning.

Personally, I would never take major and complicated things apart to clean unless I knew they needed attention. As you think there is a problem at low speed then perhaps checking the EGR valve would be sensible and, while doing that job, you could also ***ess the level of soot in the intake system.

If your's is a pre-facelift model... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgFY10NgMtk

Hello, this thread is very usefull, but I also have problem with pictures, is there any solution for this? Insted of pictures I have image of "Please update your account to enable 3RD party hosting..." from photobucket.