What's new

Reverse camera

Good news, it was the battery that was causing my problems, the car is now fine. Even the reverse camera is working after faffing about for a couple of hours trying to work out why it wasn`t working in the first place. It turned out to be a combination of 2 things. Firstly the plug in the back of the dvd player had worked loose and secondly, I used Scotchloks to splice into the reverse light cables. That was bad move as they didn`t quite cut into the camera wire as it was so thin so I trimmed the insulation back and wrapped and soldered the camera wires onto the reverse light feed. All sorted now.

I have a couple of pictures that I will put up tomorrow, mostly of the mess I made of cutting out the whole for the camera. Luckily you can`t really see it when the tailgate is up or down.

There`s not much to say about the installation it`s fairly self explanatory. I didn`t connect the lights up as I didn`t take out a number plate light so for the tourer its just a case of connecting to the reverse light and running the video cable to the satnav screen. Also when taking out trims on the tailgate I found it best if you take off the centre whiteish panel from the top centre of the rear window, followed by the two side panels running up the pillars, then lastly the black fabric trim. This is because they are clipped to each other and they are easier to separate this way. Doing it the other way round and you can possibly snap off some clips, like I did.

The tailgate hinge cover was a pain to get off, the strap that attaches this broke off so I had to fix it back with some insulation tape but you can`t see it.

Mostly it was case of just easing off some trim panels enough to feed the video cable through. The only panels I had to remove apart from the tailgate, were the rear seat bolster cushion and the 2 trim panels running across the doors. I managed to feed the cable through the B post trim.

If anybody intends doing this and wants help feel free to ask.

Awesome job Dave I'm looking forward for pictures, too.

And regarding saloon model (CL9) Is there a reverse camera model out there which will replace perfectly one of the rear plate lights without the need to modify anything :blush:

Awesome job Dave I'm looking forward for pictures, too.

And regarding saloon model (CL9) Is there a reverse camera model out there which will replace perfectly one of the rear plate lights without the need to modify anything :blush:

No idea mate. All I do know is that Jav fitted the same camera as me to his saloon and he replaced the number plate light with it. Hopefully he will come along and explain further

Dinu,

heres the pic mate, unfortunatley these cameras dont fit like oem ones, so you will need to file/sand down the silver surround that goes over it, i have done mine like this and people say it looks OEM so thats fine with me!

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

Dave, excellent stuff - great write up. Just get some pics up and we'll have another great DIY to add to our collection..

Jav yes that does look like OEM indeed, looks very good !
I'm not sure I've understood what the issue was fitting it ? Was it hard to fit in the hole remained when you removed the right plate light ?
By the way where did you buy your reverse camera, do you have a link ?

Dinu, the link to the one I bought is in post 1. It looks a lot like Javs, same shape, different LEDs

Two pictures of mine fitted, note the mess I made of cutting out the hole, definitely not how to do it but like I said whether the tailgate is up or down it`s not really noticeable. Also because the plate light is such an open gap, there won`t be any problems with water getting anyway. I haven`t fixed the camera in its final position yet, I`m going to have to stick it in place with silicon or something similar. Another thing I found was the plastic is a bit to thick for the clip system of the camera to grip properly.

ReverseCam2.jpg

Reversecam1.jpg

I think you can see the difference in the licence plate lights between the saloon and the tourer and why I had to do it the way I did. There is one advantage though and that is I don`t have to connect up the camera leds. What I will be doing next though is fitting leds all round, if I can decide on which ones to get. By that I mean best quality.

BTW I know the cars looking a bit grubby but in my defence we have only just had a hosepipe ban called off.

One more picture showing the view you get. I was hoping to be able to see part of the car like Javs as a reference point but it will do.

IMAG0058.jpg

congrats dave! B)

Hi Dave,

Regarding Xcarlink, do you have some pictures to see where the Xcarlink connector should go ?
Does it go on the back of the DVD unit or somewhere else?
I was thinking to route my xcarlink cable to glove box , what do you think, is it possible ?
Also, does the Xcarlink unit need a ground/earth point in order to install this ?

Hi Dave,

Regarding Xcarlink, do you have some pictures to see where the Xcarlink connector should go ?
Does it go on the back of the DVD unit or somewhere else?
I was thinking to route my xcarlink cable to glove box , what do you think, is it possible ?
Also, does the Xcarlink unit need a ground/earth point in order to install this ?

Dinu xcarlink fits in the back od the main stereo. If you have the satnav version then you have to take the whole unit out to fit it as the connector is at the back, if you have normal stereo then you can clip in from underneath. Either way the xcarlink plugs into the main stereo

I see, thanks Shabz, yes I have a navi unit also.
Did you connect your xcarlink to a ground/earth point also , or it was not necessary ?

I see, thanks Shabz, yes I have a navi unit also.
Did you connect your xcarlink to a ground/earth point also , or it was not necessary ?

Not needed mate, the whole unit grounds itself. I located mine down the side of the handbrake away from the satnav unit. I just thought there maybe too much heat there. If you need any more help just ask. Oh yes getting the satnav unit out is a pain though, you have to be very carefull not to scratch etc the edges. Think I used a bread knife to wedge in but was very carefull.

The panel on the top of the dash comes out dead easy. The hard bit is the DVD player surround, that is clipped in very tight but Alan in his reverse camera thread suggests pulling it back as far as possible and lubricating the clip to help getting it out. On the old THAOC I did a DIY on fitting the Xcarlink with pictures. It`s still there.

Thanks guys !

Just wanted to ask what year your car is and whether there is any difference between prefacelift and facelift. Mines an 05 and has the navi, will this still work in mine? Will there be the same plug on the back and will the wiring be the same?

Suppose I should of asked this before ordering the camera lol?

Good job though and it looks really good.

Shabz, mine is a 2006 facelift. I believe there are 2 different types of dvd player and the change occurred with the facelift, but I`m not sure. I`m sure it`s mentioned on here somewhere or it could be on the tsx forum, link in the first post.

Shabz, mine is a 2006 facelift. I believe there are 2 different types of dvd player and the change occurred with the facelift, but I`m not sure. I`m sure it`s mentioned on here somewhere or it could be on the tsx forum, link in the first post.

Have had a read about this now and it seems that the prefacelift is not compatiable for the reverse camera mod. It simply does not have the camera input. A little gutted about that but hey its one of them things right.

The only way of doing this is getting some form of module interface such as the navi tool

Have had a read about this now and it seems that the prefacelift is not compatiable for the reverse camera mod. It simply does not have the camera input. A little gutted about that but hey its one of them things right.

The only way of doing this is getting some form of module interface such as the navi tool

Or buy a facelift................... only joking

Looks interesting, do you have a picture with the final install with this camera ?

looks good ! so you did not had to replace your plate lights, I guess you had to do drill a hole for the cable ?

Hi guys,

I've decided to buy a reverse camera myself but not sure what to choose, can you advise me a little bit please :
I've found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HONDA-ACCORD-NIGHT-VISION-CAR-REAR-VIEW-CAMERA-CC-007-/260649634217?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cafedc9a9
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-Reverse-camera-HONDA-ACCORD-2008-ACCORD-2009-2010-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a5e5edea0QQitemZ250691378848QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-Reverse-Rear-View-Backup-Camera-Honda-Accord-08-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335b91fa74QQitemZ220579625588QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo
or this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-ACCORD-2008-2010-REAR-REVERSE-PARKING-CAMERA-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem41553bf28eQQitemZ280602866318QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo
or this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-CMD-Colour-Rear-View-Camera-HONDA-ACCORD-/280496339589?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item414ee27a85

or others (if you have a better suggestion) ?

Does it matter if is PAL/NTSC/SECAM or other ... ? From those links I've post , only 1 has NTSC/PAL/SECAM - the others are all NTSC only.

I really not sure what to choose, what should I look for (I mean technical specifications) ?

?

They all look pretty much the same to me so if it was me I would get the cheapest. They all look just like mine except mine doesn`t have the number plate lights built in. This is because it doesn`t replace the original number plate light, it is fitted to one side of the light. And I think, but i`m not 100% certain that mine is NTSC

I think I might get the one who says NTSC/PAL/SECAM just in case :)

Hi guys,

My camera arrived, however I've noticed it has 3 different wires which are coming out from the camera:
- two of them are RCA (one is female and one is male) - I believe on is for AV and the other one for DC power ? Am I right ?
- and another another wire is coming out from the camera also which has no connector , any idea what is it for ?

Can you post a link to the camera? Does it have led lights?

Hi David,

I've put some pics here ;
http://img862.imageshack.us/i/62383600.jpg/
http://img855.imageshack.us/i/24938156.jpg/
http://img813.imageshack.us/i/70858881.jpg/
http://img716.imageshack.us/i/30660594.jpg/
http://img33.imageshack.us/i/88122955.jpg/

Actually there are only 2 main wires that are coming out of the camera (not 3 as I said before) , but one of them is splitting in two (yellow and red connector)

So I'm not sure what is for what, those instructions I have are confusing (to me)...

Ok its the one most people with a saloon have used so someone will be along to clarify this so please dont take my word as gospel!

I'd say the Red/Black wires are to power up the leds at either side of the camera which are use to light up the number plate as the other two rca type plugs go to the camera itself ie power feed from reverse light and then the video feed from the camera.

An easy way to test this is to wire the red to +'ve and the black to -'ve 12volt and see if the led's come on if they do then when you fit the camera you need to wire the 2 wires into the wires for the number plate light you remove so they light up when your lights are on.

Hope that helps.

Hi David,

I've post more pics.
Actually there are only 2 main wires . I believe the same thing like you do about that wire black/red (withoud connector) that should go to the plate lighting
But I'm kind of confused about red/yellow connectors - those 2 wires are splitting from a main wire , but not sure which one is for video and which one for reverse DC power .

The Yellow is your video as its a RCA connector, the red is for the camera earth and power. Did you get another lead that will plug into the red connector?