What's new

Upgrading the Accord iCDTi ICE. Many Questions (& hopefully Answers too!)

It's not going to really pump like the rear Subwoofer does, it's just going to fill a small gap when the tuning of the Subwoofer box response starts to roll off (around 80/90Hz) and where the front speakers pick the lower frequencies up again frequencies up again (100/120hz), the sort of frequency of some larger drums.

The 6.5" front door speakers can hit those frequencies, but not when you play them as loud as I do, so you set a high pass filter on the amplifier to allow all frequencies from that point upwards to flow freely, where the bass frequencies are set to tail off to stop too much bass coming through & causing distortion.

The way to get around this is to drive the speakers less hard, but to double them up or triple/quadruple them. As they are individually being pushed less hard, you get zero distortion at the lower frequencied, but then can introduce imaging problems due to the sound coming from different places. The more drivers, the more likely the problems.

Another solution is to run a 10" or 8" Subwoofer to take the mid bass strain off of the door speakers, but where would I put another 10" Subwoofer? Tbh I'm already out of room. An 8" in the footwell might just work tho.

This relatively small 8" won't be pushed anywhere near its limits though, it will only be used to fill the gap or handover point from the 12W7 in to boot to the front doors. It's an 8W3v3-4.

To break that down is like tyre markings. The 8 means it's an 8" driver, W3 is the position in the JL Audio range, v3 means it's a mark 3, the -4 means it's 4 ohms voice coil.

The JL subwoofer range topper is the costly W7 (available in 13.5" 12" 10" 8") then W6, then W3, then W1/W0 and others etc getting cheaper all the time. The starter Subwoofer 10W0 is only around £60, whereas this little 8" the 8W3 retails at £170 and obviously the build quality of the Subwoofer is vastly improved along with the rated output which in this case is 250w RMS. JL Audio are well known for a lack of exaggeration in their power rating figures.

This Subwoofers rated power is overkill for what it will be used for, but for the secondhand price of £50 it just means it will not be working very hard & last forever pretty much. The 12W7 in the boot I have owned now for some 8 years, and from the W3 range upwards you really do get top quality R&D with terrific engineering.

So to recap it's not to hit hard, just to fill in a small gap where the 6.5" door speakers struggle to accurately reproduce at very high volumes.

Wozza, you are all about that bass! :lol:

Well, what can I say? I got a demo of this insane install at the Ace Cafe meet, and, just, wow.

The sound quality is beyond what should be possible in a car. Just amazing, any genre of music at any volume and it sounds incredible!..tried everything from the classics that were on the in car system to my mix if classical, (Suite No3 in D minor) had never sounded so clear, and even King 810 sounded as good in the car as they did live! No distortion on any track tried, even sax which is a known difficult instrument to track without any issues!

Just an absolutely immense sound level and clarity. A huge credit to you dude!!!

P.S thanks for the donut :)

Nala Nesnej said:
After getting lost when my SatNav had no idea where I was, O thought it was about time to replace my SatNav 2007 Disc with a current one from Honda - expensive! I've heard stories that's the 'copied' ones screw the DVD drive up, do they?

I them stumbled across this ........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281581858256?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D281581858256%26_rdc%3D1

Any comments?
Firstly I have no idea regarding the copied discs, maybe post a thread up asking members with Honda Sat-Navs for opinions & advice.

Secondly I have bad news for you. Those units are known to have issues on I-CDTi models with blowing the Air-Con or it not functioning.

Thirdly (& it's only my opinion here so don't take offence but you asked if I had any comments) but that thing is too damn ugly to be anywhere near an Accord, maybe in an old KIA or Skoda, but even those manufacturers these days wouldn't bear using such an ugly & out of place looking thing.

luvmyaccord said:
Well, what can I say? I got a demo of this insane install at the Ace Cafe meet, and, just, wow.

The sound quality is beyond what should be possible in a car. Just amazing, any genre of music at any volume and it sounds incredible!..tried everything from the classics that were on the in car system to my mix if classical, (Suite No3 in D minor) had never sounded so clear, and even King 810 sounded as good in the car as they did live! No distortion on any track tried, even sax which is a known difficult instrument to track without any issues!

Just an absolutely immense sound level and clarity. A huge credit to you dude!!!

P.S thanks for the donut :)
Thanks for those kind words mate.

I'm not blowing my own trumpet here, there are many many cars that go far far louder than mine does. Some you can hear streets away with systems costing 10% of what my install cost, but that kind of thing was NEVER my aim with this car. For fear of sounding snobbish, they make noise, not music.

Firstly making huge noise with 4x subwoofers in the boot, lots of cheapish speakers in the door etc can easily drown my car out. in fact with the amount of sound deadening in my car, even standing right next to it, most people would be utterly gobsmacked at how little they can actually hear. The only time they really hear it is if I open a window or invite them in for a demo.

Secondly my build is deliberately visually & audio stealthy. I have spent too much time & money on this install to attract "unwanted" attention. I have found over several installs over the last 25+ years that having blacked out windows with Pioneer or Alpine stickers is a sure fire way to get your windows smashed. Even if they can't see in, they still want to check. Yeah drop me out of that ta!!

Thirdly, it's ALL about the sound quality. I wanted accurate, crisp, clean, clear clarity, but a pretty high volumes. Many cars go much louder than mine does, including some that have kept all their seating, but I have yet to hear a car that is so clean & clear across a wide variety of music tempos & styles, yet still retains that quality at pretty high volumes. I have heard some terrific cars over the years, but ANYTHING that has come close has been done by a professional company in conjunction with a manufacturer's support/sponsorship. I didn't build this install to make a girls long hair fly around, I did it to give people big smiles when they hear the quality. In fact, stuff that, I did it to give ME smiles, the fact other people can be passengers & get to smile like I do to is just a bonus.

" I wanted accurate, crisp, clean, clear clarity, but a pretty high volumes"
I have pretty much achieved that. It is still a work in progress though, as even now I am still not entirely happy (99%), but I won't stop until I am 100% smiles. With my planned upgrades & general finishing off & tidying up, once completed my ears will cause me to be in a permanent state of aural cargasm........

My pal with the huge amount of fibreglass experience is still on honeymoon, so I have been doing some research on the footwell subwoofer build, and fibreglass construction methods for Door Panels in general.

I have 3/4 options on where to mount the 8" subwoofer. I need to measure when mum is in the car as to the best site for it as she is disabled and her access is very important.

1.) underneath the glovebox at an angle firing downwards in a custom box (picture for effect)
Footwell%20Build%203.jpg

2.) In a lower position retaining as much foot space as possible. This example picture is angled too low, but the picture is an example. Rather than firing upwards I would probably go for a vertical panel firing straight towards the seat cushion.
Footwell%20Build%202.jpg

3.) (and my currently preferred option) at the side of the console firing towards the door.
Footwell%20Build%201.jpg

The last option is in the kick panel itself, but as the mounting depth required might be too large and cause to much of an invasion into the footwell, this is unlikely, but still an option.

A really great walkthru guide to using the fibreglass & making a speaker pod (in this case for the kick panel)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTdk0cYfv2s

I'm being realistic in the time frame as having everything on my install completed by next Spring ready for the Club Meets/Show Season including the custom door pods and the front subwoofer box. plus boot finished with perspex ampl rack panel.
Suggested%20Door%20Build.jpg

This will take the install to it's final level & a noticeable audio step up from where it is even now.

Cool!

Yeah mate. I now not only have a 6th Gen Honda accord (Wife) but also a 7th Gen for myself. Good to see your project has materialised. You sure were on a mission. Hope your health is now tip top.

Upgrades on the way. The 300/4 (currently bridged to 150x2) is being replaced by the 450/4v2. It was bench tested at 183Wx2 R.M.S the other day, plus 92Wx2 R.M.S for the tweeters. The front end will be fully active, I'm just unsure atm if I am going for another set of drivers in the front doors, or just sticking with a single pair.....