What's new

Inlet manifold de-coke (2 Cars done)

simontown

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 Accord Tourer
Hi guys,

Thought I'd share my latest efforts to improve the running of my trusty Tourer....

Having dealt with the EGR issue I decided to give the butterfly valve a good clean up, and go one step further and de-coke the inlet manifold, have noticed some pretty heavy carbon deposits in the pipe from the EGR.

Started by removing the engine cover:

a60bf56a0b551fd0c556d206a2a00e4d_zpsa75e5fac.jpg

Next up disconnected the feeds to the swirl valve solenoid....and removed the swirl valve....as previously seen this was very glooped up with sticky carbon deposit and I doubt it was operating well or allowing a smooth passage of air:

52f03c50eb9f9cda1ab42f856f732b83_zps3f91919a.jpg

Dirty parts....

This shows the inlet manifold after removing swirl valve:

05bd91f02b72de241e430ce5bacf6847_zps3b4015d6.jpg

Inlet portion:

06badf59d75368411783806004fabd0c_zps9a9ffedc.jpg

Swirl valve:

f8864ce8a722eac917bbb1d0de98d11d_zps4ac93c04.jpg

Sensor:

890e3ad2eb407fad397cded6dc5de2be_zpsf3b067bb.jpg

Next the fuel rail was removed to allow access to remove the inlet manifold:

b560a383c0dcc9a2198868915778ca5c_zps0078f789.jpg

Then off with the inlet manifold to reveal heavy carbonisation:

eb1d56d05e765a47874a7fa73fbaba59_zps92866db6.jpg

We scrapped out what we could manually...which was a lot!

250cbbaef90c4ec86caa03eb700e8133_zps513eb100.jpg

8d963a3331bed4f561974471dd94d840_zps09bdfbfd.jpg

Next up the manifold was placed in a bucket of coke to soak overnight....I am reliably informed this is a great cleaner!

2afb2d41b420caded38010bba55f02be_zps4372770a.jpg

Finally I cleaned up the swirl valve etc using brake cleaner, a tooth brush and an old rag....

1ecfebd74a05a2009dcd6efdc3c6b73b_zps590002e7.jpg

bcd87a1b7da3d1e6bac264e708bdccd2_zps7366860d.jpg

Part two tomorrow when we will finish cleaning the inlet manifold and put the lot back together

Blimey Simon that's one hell of a lot of crap that came out of the manifold!!! I would imagine it will run a lot cleaner when finished :) .

In reckon around 1/2 a kg, and more being dissolved as we speak! Tbh it was running ok....but once the airways have been cleared out I am hoping for a further step up in performance....

Simon1602 said:
In reckon around 1/2 a kg, and more being dissolved as we speak! Tbh it was running ok....but once the airways have been cleared out I am hoping for a further step up in performance....
Well Steve even if you don't see any improvement it's still a job well done and well worth the effort :) .

Wow!

I'm pretty certain you will see an improvement mate and quite sure this will solve your weird stuttering problem which was the IMRC

Great job buddy

F6HAD said:
Wow!
I'm pretty certain you will see an improvement mate and quite sure this will solve your weird stuttering problem which was the IMRC
Great job buddy
Can't believe it won't make a difference

Looking forward to seeing how effective a cleaner the coke is....but will have some more brake cleaner to hand as well....

Update tomorrow!

I bet the brake cleaner tastes better too

This is an amazing thread. I cant wait to hear the feedback. The amount cleaned is sure to make a massive difference. Im even considering taking this on myself tommorow.
Do keep us updated mate.

Great job mate.Now need wait result.

My only concern on this is the removal of fuel rail and then getting leaks after. Do you think this will happen or are the joints quite good? Also did they have any washers?

TypeR said:
My only concern on this is the removal of fuel rail and then getting leaks after. Do you think this will happen or are the joints quite good? Also did they have any washers?
Will have to wait and see.....but joints are in excellent condition and in worse case could seal but really not expecting any issues there....my friendly tech will be helping me and this process is not new to him...no washers but will take some pics

Off out to check on how well the coke has done, then hitting the bike for a couple of hours before the refit

Honda insist the high-pressure pipework ***ociated with the fuel rail/injectors must never be reused. But I've had those pipes off and back on twice without problems.

Simon1602 said:
Will have to wait and see.....but joints are in excellent condition and in worse case could seal but really not expecting any issues there....my friendly tech will be helping me and this process is not new to him...no washers but will take some pics

Off out to check on how well the coke has done, then hitting the bike for a couple of hours before the refit
Thanks Mate, please get some pics/feedback up asap

Part II

Ok coke seemed to get rid of some of the carbonisation but oily deposits were pretty much untouched....

Spent two hours hitting the manifold with brake cleaner, Autosmart Tardis, and finally neat Autosmart G101 agitated with my old EZ wheel brush, while my star tech Ben cleaned the engine block inlets.

fca4fd7df2d28770468adc81294729e1_zps7b28389f.jpg

fb54e9b30022f99d85df02d5c5537bff_zps28b2f3c4.jpg

3121e94b31a075426a405de5a13d1118_zpsc9a6cc9a.jpg

85d6a82e14784079ec899e28b23123af_zps683dd1d0.jpg

The muck just kept coming....

fca4fd7df2d28770468adc81294729e1_zps7b28389f.jpg

Ben did a great job of cleaning up the sensor:

e500e75f1be8fc996da2cbdf13c1b08b_zps45104d22.jpg

Ben then begain the reassembly.....

The ports all nice a shiney:

c6ddd7feb82f3a90329ad04269f449ed_zps29d314be.jpg

43c0232bb5bf3164bbb03e5b662df215_zps9e71b3e6.jpg

Massive thanks to my good friend Ben who did the bulk of the work, and all with a smile!

Ok so next up we tried to start her but for some reason battery seemed a little weak so ended up having to jump her....big puff of smoke out the back and idle a little off as ECU took its time over recovering from the shock of being able to breath again after 100,000 on 40 a day. Soon settled though.

Unfortunately, Ben had to get off so couldn't come out on the test drive.....but wow what a difference, the car was pulling well before but this is a step up again....mostly motorway on test run and car pulled significantly better then ever before in fifth. On return stretched her legs in lower gears and no lack of power! Pushed past an Audi A6 which I think may have had a tune with no problems.

Looking forward to seeing if there is any further improvement as the ECU settles and to see if any improvement to economy.

In short, a tough couple of days work, especially for Ben but a very significant improvement in performance to reward us.

One slight hic-up was that the one of the fuel lines is weeping but will try to nip up, or if not will replace.

Not a job I would have done without my Tech on hand....he's a real legend!..no problem cleaning parts but that's it for me

Never the less really pleased with the results......

The idle being off when first restarted was probably the injectors having to pass air locks after having the pipes off, quite normal. That weeping should clear up after a bit of extra tightening and is also to be expected.

Thank you for this comprehensive illustrated write-up.

Jon_G said:
The idle being off when first restarted was probably the injectors having to pass air locks after having the pipes off, quite normal. That weeping should clear up after a bit of extra tightening and is also to be expected.

Thank you for this comprehensive illustrated write-up.
You're welcome great to be giving something back....on the shoulders of giants.....

Fantastic effort by both Ben and Simon, and top write up!!

This is definitely a job that will reap benefits for all our Ictdi members especially as these cars tend to be 100k+ milers now.

With the egr blanked off, the swirl flaps have no chance of becoming contaminated with soot ever again.

Amazing results guys, i'm definitely going to take this on.I remember my inlet was really dirty when i partially cleaned it.

So does the car sound any quieter?

Also any problems with the fuel feed pipes, do they have washers or anything?

TypeR said:
Amazing results guys, i'm definitely going to take this on.I remember my inlet was really dirty when i partially cleaned it.

So does the car sound any quieter?

Also any problems with the fuel feed pipes, do they have washers or anything?
Not sure if any quieter but pulled much better....in fact it goes like stink!

One weeping pipe going to refit tomorrow...will let you know how I get on.

Fuel pipes and fuel rail:

7135e8e5df2445466cef6e732c0e5dc2_zps028817b7.jpg

a08dcf5223ec4fb720e3220ce00b9a67_zps527c1e87.jpg

No washers and shouldn't be overtightened.....

Ok, so have you got a leak from one of the pipes, might not just be sat right.

Overall pal I think this a cracking job and one that I will definitely be doing. Just love this thread and massive respect to you writing this up. It will be a must for all diesel drivers soon enough.

I had a similar thing with my sisters ep2 a few weeks back. Just felt rough on idle so stripped the whole throttle down and gave it a good clean and oiled a little the iac valve and now the car is silky smooth again.

Do keep us updated with all your progress on this

Hi guys,

Just a quick update today....popped the car over to Ben's workshop and he refitted the leaking fuel line....checked carefully and seems to have sealed....I have a longer journey this weekend so will keep an eye on it.

Engine has definitely settled down...and does seem quieter and is performing better in power terms.....I am convinced that if I can keep off the loud pedal long enough, I will see an improvement in economy too...

Will feed back further once I have shaken her down more thoroughly.

Nb if you do take this on you need to have a ready supply of cleaning agents available....brake cleaner, Autosmart Tardis, and Autosmart G101 (neat) combined to good effect....In addition allow plenty of time and be sure to have various brushes to hand.

Regards

Simon

Quick update...

Re noise I can report that the engine is running quieter....particularly under load....had suspected the timing chain might have been at fault, but now I suspect the noise was pinking from poor air flow...this noise has pretty much disappeared since the decoke....

You don't get pinking (pre-detonation) on a diesel.,, and the timing chain won't get noisier under load. But I can't offer an alternative explanation as to why it might be quieter.