What's new

Noisy or Rattling timing chain

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
If your i-CTDI Accord has a noisy timing chain, or it has started to sound a bit weird and rattley - then take it to Honda for inspection.

Honda offer a 7 year or 125k extended warranty on rattling timing chains for this generation and engine of Accord.

They may want to see your service history to verify it has had regular oil changes.

The replacement involves replacing the timing chain and tensioner, and also all 4 injectors (these need to removed to seperate the rocker cover from the head and tend to crack when removed hence the reason Honda replace these as part of the job, and then re-code the injectors).

It is also advisable to have the auxillary belt replaced at this time - as you may be able to convince the dealership to only charge you for the part as the labour is covered anyway.

Hope that helps.

HI Fahad
when I bought my Silver arrow they did not give me service history.
Is that means that I an not in ***le to get that oor heed to speak with dealer

Ged, if it's been serviced by Honda then they will have a record. If the chain is noisy and has less than 125k miles and is under 7 years, take it in and see what they say - they are aware that these cars have a problem.

thats the thing
car serviced in local garage before me.
When I got it I serviced by myself,like changed oils ,filters and necessary liquids.
I tryed to speak ones with my local dealer(Ewell Honda in South of London) and they said that Honda do not do that.
What our CJ advised my is try one more time to speak with them,if no luck,then contact HH they definately will help me..

Ged: I had my timming chain replaced on the begining of this year and I had my services done by honda only on warranty after that I did them myself. My car was 124k miles when I got it replaced and last service in honda was on 80k miles. I had a list of my own services on sheet of paper which I scaned and send to Honda UK and their answer was that there is no need to service car in honda just keep records of own services. HH told me that I need to keep at least all bills for parts for all my services, which I didn't have but Honda UK didn't want any bills.

Contact with Honda UK and I am sure that they will help you.

Does this apply to all 7th gen, or is it just pre-face lift?

It is only valid for CN1 and CN2 diesels, (04 and 05). As for the service history, it all depends on the dealer, I did mine in Yeomans Honda in Guildford and they didn't ask for anything

It is only valid for CN1 and CN2 diesels, (04 and 05). As for the service history, it all depends on the dealer, I did mine in Yeomans Honda in Guildford and they didn't ask for anything

OK, thanks for clarifying for me.

Thats very good news,becouse myself ask my dealer(Ewell Honda) and they dont know anything about that :lol:
Guilford is not so far from me,so need to try to contact with them

Just to clarify on this issue- the extended warranty only covers 04 and 05 models? Pre facelift?

Im asking because ive noticed my 06 facelift is a bit rattely when taking over and it sounds like the chain.. :rolleyes:

yes that is correct all facelift cars have that countermeasure in place.

Thanks CJ! I'll maybe upload a video or mp3 of it to see if people think its normal or if something is up with it. Maybe its just the cold start in the morning

It's probably just the injector's you're hearing, quite normal.

Man at this rate we gonna have to add bosch to the swear filter :lol:

Hmmm didn't write that. Think I've been hacked lol.

I feel as though I'm being singled out and bullied here. You think I was different or something! A Vectras almost the same as an Accord. 4 wheels, doors and an engine. People often stop and say "Nice Accord" and I have to point out it's not :wub:

Could be worse Paul - you could have been at the HH meet with a black iCDTI Civic and an iffy tummy. CJ was giving poor the John the hex.

Thats very good news,becouse myself ask my dealer(Ewell Honda) and they dont know anything about that :unsure:
Guilford is not so far from me,so need to try to contact with them

Ged,
do you (or anyone else know) if a 54 plate accord comes under the CN1 and CN2 diesel category?
did you go to the dealers in Guilford? what did they say? or is the fault still present?

i myself am suffering from this same issue, at least i think, the rattling noise is very low on mine and i can only hear it when i accelerate (doesnt matter what gear).
i bought mine private so i suppose i dont have a chance of asking Honda to replace my timing chain :(

CN1 is the saloon ICTDI and CN2 is the tourer.

Please say hello in the newbies section.

Cheers

CN1 is the saloon ICTDI and CN2 is the tourer.

Please say hello in the newbies section.

Cheers

thanks F6HAD, so what you are saying is that my car falls under this category and could ptentially have this fault?
also, do you know what grade oil a 2.2 I-CDTI takes?
(ive said hello in the newbies section).

Thamid, oil is 0w30 fully syn loads on here about oil

Thamid, oil is 0w30 fully syn loads on here about oil

thanks Monks,
I have tried to use the search feature but have not had any luck hence me asking you guys here.
(tried searching keywords: oil, diesel oil, 0w30, oil consumption. didnt return a single thing)

Ged,
do you (or anyone else know) if a 54 plate accord comes under the CN1 and CN2 diesel category?
did you go to the dealers in Guilford? what did they say? or is the fault still present?

i myself am suffering from this same issue, at least i think, the rattling noise is very low on mine and i can only hear it when i accelerate (doesnt matter what gear).
i bought mine private so i suppose i dont have a chance of asking Honda to replace my timing chain :)

I think I've got exactly the same issue. I've started to hear this very faint rattling noise when car is started but when I accelerate the car a bit in any gear I can feel it inside the car. Not sure if its chain or if its injectors as Fahad mentioned. Mine is a 56 plate Feb 2007 i-CTDI. Please advise what you think might be the cause of this?
Its ex Honda car and I've got all the invoices and service book is fully stamped. It was last serviced at 75k. I bought it with 77.5k and now its done 83k. I'm thinking of getting it serviced by Honda Stoke (do they still give THOAC discount?) in next month or two!

Since i've had the car i've been keeping a look out for this, Though the chain is not rattling. The engine seems alot more noisier and just generally not normal. I can feel a fair bit of cabin vibration whilst in the car esp when stationary, can this be related to the chain.

It'll be going in to get checked out, just want your opinion on cabin vibration if this can be caused by the chain

I'm having mine done at some point in the next few weeks too as my car is the pre facelift and affected. Although not bad, I want it done before the 7 years is up..

CJ's right, just get it done bro.

will have to get it checked out next week, spoke to HH and they said they'll be happy to do it and just get it diagnosed locally.