What's new

Noisy or Rattling timing chain

Harsh but fair (for 7th gens anyway)

a very expensive dead engine.. to get it back on the road it in excess of 11k more than value of any diesel Accord .
Geez. What about replacing with an engine from a crashed car? Anyone know what they fetch?

Still a couple of grand for the engine once they've been checked over, then I suppose a day or so's labour?

Hi all,

Just reading this thread and I was wondering if this warranty extends to Honda in Ireland (North and South)? I have a '04 diesel which I bought recently and the engine is noisier than it should be. Or so I'm told. Thanks.

K.

I would think so; but perhaps one of the Irish members can confirm. Have you tried contacting Honda Eire?

As long as your in the warranty bracket your covered.

Okay, I'm just back from a local dealer and I can confirm I have a dodgy timing chain. Here's what I did -

Contacted Honda Ireland. They explained that apparently the warranty only covers Irish cars (excluding N. Ireland) up to 60k miles. However, they also said UK cars up to 90k miles. This is obviously contradicting everything stated on this thread and must be incorrect, as other owners had their timing chains replaced under warranty.

The local dealer I went to said it was definitely the chain and they took a copy of the stamps in the service book, all Honda service up to 87k. Independent thereafter.

My car is still on N.I. plates. Ironically enough, they said I may not get the repairs under warranty because I'm applying to Honda Ireland with a UK car. Seriously though, isn't that just bureaucratic nonsense? Honda is Honda! If they tell me no it just means I'll have to go to a dealership in N. Ireland. I should have word by next Tues/Wed. Fingers crossed.

K.

Fingers crossed bud!

It is definitely 125K MILES here. There might be variances across border due to different fuels, oils, servicing standards - for example you lot don't have any decent Diesel available to you.

Okay, I'm just back from a local dealer and I can confirm I have a dodgy timing chain. Here's what I did -

Contacted Honda Ireland. They explained that apparently the warranty only covers Irish cars (excluding N. Ireland) up to 60k miles. However, they also said UK cars up to 90k miles. This is obviously contradicting everything stated on this thread and must be incorrect, as other owners had their timing chains replaced under warranty.

The local dealer I went to said it was definitely the chain and they took a copy of the stamps in the service book, all Honda service up to 87k. Independent thereafter.

My car is still on N.I. plates. Ironically enough, they said I may not get the repairs under warranty because I'm applying to Honda Ireland with a UK car. Seriously though, isn't that just bureaucratic nonsense? Honda is Honda! If they tell me no it just means I'll have to go to a dealership in N. Ireland. I should have word by next Tues/Wed. Fingers crossed.

K.

Sounds a bit strange to me, like you say Honda is Honda, I suppose there could be different extensions to the warranty, but would be a little surprised if there is that much discrepancy in the mileage.

Maybe worth contacting Honda customer services to enquire for further details.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed. If they say no, I'll try a N.I. dealer. And if that fails...................................I'm screwed. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I'm now terrified to drive my car in case the worst happens :(

Very strange i think they are trying to pull a fast one.Its mad though because its all work for the dealers and they claim back from Honda.
CJ might have more on this so be patient.

You'll obviously save a lot of money if you just come up North and stay overnight if you don't get anywhere with them :D

Well this is my engine (from cold) - hopefully this is what it should sound like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tBUpSTusds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5dHH-PWGRA

Great news!!! Just heard back from my local Honda dealer. It looks like my warranty claim is going to be honoured subject to a diagnostic test and report which Honda UK require. I will be dropping it in on Monday for the check over.

So I'm 99.9% of the way there to having a very expensive part replaced under warranty. I've never been brand loyal to any car manufacturer but, after this, I think I may be sticking with Honda :D

sorry guys to dip in and out of this thread, but going back to my "what's the worst that can happen" type question....would you expect the piston/valve interference thing to happen in ALL cases, or just severe cases, or if the wear leads to the cam chain snapping? Have people had engine write-offs because of this?

Just my enquiring mind - not looking for an argument or anything. Is the reason behind the problem known or suspected? What was changed for the post-facelift?

Can someone tell me when the dreaded timing chain rattle presents itself? This topic keeps cropping up, and each time I come across it my blood runs cold.

I'm not long into my Accord Tourer ownership. It's my first diesel, so whilst there are no no particular rattles, to my inexperienced ear it just sounds, well, diesely.

Wanting to keep the car for 5 years (expected 80-100K miles) I went for the lowest mileage example I could afford, which turned out to be a 2005 EX with 55K miles on. My concern is it's not covered the miles to exhibit the problem yet, and when it has it'll be well out of warranty :-(

If I can get my 5 years out of it without a trashed engine I guess the car will only be worth coppers and I'll have to scrap it if the worst happens. Until then, this topic continues to make uneasy reading.

In hindsight, perhaps a slightly newer / higher mileage car with the newer type of chain or a cheaper / older high mileage car that's already been done would have been a better choice.

Hopefully frequent oil changing will help keep the wolf from the door...

Matt, the best thing to do at the moment is call into a dealer and have them check for the rattle. My car had only 60k when it was diagnosed (poor servicing by previous owner).

Hello all,

Just wanted to update the thread re:my situation. Found out today that Honda Ireland won't cover the timing chain as it's 2 months outside of the extended warranty period. That's their only reason for not replacing the chain.

I have been in touch with Donnelly Honda in Belfast who also said from their records, the car is just 2 months outside the extended warranty. They are going to contact Honda UK Customer Service and see if there is anything they can do. Donnelly Honda are going to contact me in the morning and let me know if Honda UK are sympathetic to my situation.

K.

Wow, not even a gesture :eek:?

Wow, not even a gesture :eek:?

Well, I should find out tomorrow. But I think it's bad form that it was the dealer in N. Ireland that said they would contact HUK Customer Service and not the guys in the S. Ireland dealer. They just said they couldn't do the work under warranty and to try a dealer in the North.

It's not even a full 2 months out of date. More like 7 weeks. Do you think I should ring Honda UK myself?

Definitely... be polite though. Others have had some success with persistence .

Both I believe, but it is a mixed bag...

Both I believe, but it is a mixed bag...

Do you know anyone on the forum that was in the same situation as me but had the chain replaced under warranty? I'd like to hear how they succeeded with that outcome.

Surely considering I (and the previous owner) were unaware that this issue could have been resolved under warranty, and the fact now the warranty is only 7 weeks out of date, some discretion could be applied on the part of Honda?

You'll have to try a search mate, best to use the google box at the top of the screen by your profile picture. Honda are a bit hit and miss in their helpfulness with out of warranty issues - I had no joy with my manifold despite it being a non serviceable item and a rubbish initial design.

Just got on the phone with the dealer, and Honda Portugal has aproved the chain replacement. :D
Scheduled to 29 th August. Yeayyy

Congratulations buddy!

Matt, the best thing to do at the moment is call into a dealer and have them check for the rattle. My car had only 60k when it was diagnosed (poor servicing by previous owner).

Done. I didn't think there was a rattle. Took it to the local dealer and they say there isn't a rattle (took them an hour, but no charge). Not a guarantee of years of trouble free motoring of course, but it's put my my mind at rest. At least if the worst happens I can't kick myself for not having it checked.