What's new

Noisy or Rattling timing chain

I have just noticed that my chain has started to become audible when blipping the throttle just before the engine returns to idle. I have taken to my local Honda dealer who confirmed that it has started to rattle. However they suggested that it is not worthy of changing just yet as its not noticeable at idle. The service manager said that when they return the chain to HUK they might not honour the claim if it is found to be not that bad, and that I would then have to foot the bill!!! Which I don't fancy!!! Is this plausable? Just wanted to see what you guys make of this. My car has full service history and have just last week had the oil and filter changed at National. Genuine filter that I supplied and 0 30 edge oil.
Cheers Iain

Iain, it might be worth taking to another dealer and see what they say. When mine was done they sent the claim to Honda before doing any work. I don't know whether they have to send the old chain back or not. I notice a little knock noise just before idling as well. I only noticed this after the chain was done (like 3-4k at the most), but I have to be honest and say I hadn't been listening or "testing" for anything before then. Obviously I was a little concerned and took it back to the dealer who had another look at it and said they were happy the chain was ok. Funny thing, I was giving the car a bit of a rev this morning and didn't really notice it and I was listening for it! I think mine is maybe a bit of injector knock as the engine is slowing.

I have a noisy timing chain at idle and mines a 2006 CTDI model. However Honda says the warranty is only available for 04/05 plate models (I thought most CTDI's have the same parts / engine). The car had regular oil changes with the correct 0W30 oil, but developed the fault. If i wanted to get the timing chain i would have to fork out alot of money to get it done outside the warranty.

However one thing i noticed every time my car has an oil change i do hear a slight decrease in noise from the timing chain, but then sometime later the noise eventually comes back again.

I have a noisy timing chain at idle and mines a 2006 CTDI model. However Honda says the warranty is only available for 04/05 plate models (I thought most CTDI's have the same parts / engine). The car had regular oil changes with the correct 0W30 oil, but developed the fault. If i wanted to get the timing chain i would have to fork out alot of money to get it done outside the warranty.

However one thing i noticed every time my car has an oil change i do hear a slight decrease in noise from the timing chain, but then sometime later the noise eventually comes back again.

This is not a good news for me. I've got this bad feeling mine has noisy timing chain too and mine is Feb 2007 CTDI. :(

This is not a good news for me. I've got this bad feeling mine has noisy timing chain too and mine is Feb 2007 CTDI. :(

Yeah if you do decide to investigate further or get the work done then let me know, i would like to hear about your feedback!

I got a noisy timing chain on my 05 cdti - but as the previous owner missed a couple of services, I can't get it done...

I got a noisy timing chain on my 05 cdti - but as the previous owner missed a couple of services, I can't get it done...

Yes that is correct.

Does it not depend on the dealer? Mine never even looked or asked about the service history and it only had 2 services done in Honda. I would still go to the dealer and say nothing see what they say.

CJ does it have to be a main dealer service or will they accept some services to come from an independant garage providing the garage has stamped your book?

CJ, am not trying to get into an argument here with you on this considering you know more about the subject! I know that HUK will be paying for the work and they have the right to reject a claim if they so desire, especially if the car hasn't been serviced to their intervals.

BUT... before my dealer looked at my car, I rang them and asked about the warranty and what sort of service history was needed. The reply (from the service manager) was that it didn't matter about the service history, as long as the car is within the 7 years/125k milage limit, that was the only requirements set out by Honda. Sure enough, service history was never mentioned again and the car had no problems with getting the warranty work done. Thats my experience.

I'm only summising that from reading some of the posts on here and from my memory of THAOC, it did seem that some people needed service history, while others didn't. I can also only guess that dealers who've been through the claim process for this work a few times will have a good idea as to what goes through and what doesn't.

Which is why I suggest perhaps ringing one or two local dealers and asking the same question and if the answer is a definate no, then fair enough but if you don't ask you won't get. :) But maybe I'm all wrong on this, and as you say, have been very fortunate :)

Guys I've uploaded a video of my car's engine bay with engine running at idle. Could someone please watch the video and let me know if the engine sound is normal. Thanks

Here's the link guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD09GlCuthY

CJ I'm not saying I've diagnosed it and I'm hoping I'm totally wrong but I don't want to take any risk so would like the opinion of you experts. This is ex-Honda dealer car and it has been serviced by the same Honda garage, from memory the one in Blackburn. Actually for me this was one of the biggest attraction when I bought this car from Cargiant.

I think that is coming from your belt area , could be water pump or alternator bearing , but it does sounds like a proper bucket of bolts.

get it shown at a dealer , they can look at it for nowt.

Mine sounds like this too, my dealer told me it wasnt the timing chain and to "let it develop" unless I wanted to pay them to take the belt off and look further into it (car was only in for oil and filter change).

Can someone post up a video of what its supposed to sound like? I've found myself trying to listen to as many Accord diesels as possible in car parks etc but they all tend to sound similar to me and the noise is doing my head in. Especially interested around the 1.5k upwards rpm range as mine tends to whine really badly,

I've had the shorter alternator belt fitted and to me the idler pulley that was take off sounded a bit ropey when you spun it but its made no difference to the engine noise. I'm suspecting its the alternator as there is the TSB about that.

Oh cars got FSH and 134k on the clock.

Cheers.

I think that is coming from your belt area , could be water pump or alternator bearing , but it does sounds like a proper bucket of bolts.

get it shown at a dealer , they can look at it for nowt.

Thanks CJ. Are you saying my local dealer could look at it free of charge? If its one of the two things you've mentioned would it be covered under the extended warranty? My car is Feb 07 got FSH and has done 83k miles.

If your car comes under the extended warranty then I think so...

I'm an aircraft engineer so fitting it myself shouldn't be a problem

One thing that ticks me off something chronic is when someone goes - well I work in this industry; therefore I am vastly superior and should be able to do such and such a task without any problems because our industries have some tenuous link to yours and I consider my industry to be better.

Tool!

I dropped mine off with Holdcroft for the timing chain job.

CJ is right, Honda can be very picky about these claims. Lucky for me I keep every single receipt, including all oil receipts clearly showing the viscosity and service intervals. At 85k miles, mine wasn't bad but there was something there that's been niggling at me for ages and Craig confirmed after a good listen at the last HH meet..

I have to say a massive thanks to CJ for helping to push this through and faxing all my paperwork to HH whilst I was busy moving house. Without his intervention and Steve pushing it through I might still have been arguing the toss with them.

Anyways she's getting a service done at the same time and I told them to check and renew the aux belt too if needed. I plan to keep this car for some time yet so want it to continue running perfectly ;)

I've been given a brand new ****...

A truly awful car! I felt like I was in a kite coming up the M6 - my wife's 11 year old Polo is a much more solid drive in comparison ( :p @ CJ)

Can't wait to get my black beauty back tomorrow :)

Has anyone tried getting there accord timing chain repaired by honda's 7 years/125k warranty? (i mean those who dont have the 04/05 plate ctdi accord)

Ive got a 56 plate but their not paying up saying its only covered if your is an 04/05 plate. Same engine type isnt it?

It's been changed and is not covered by the same warranty.

My 2005 Ctdi goes in on Monday for this (covered by extended warranty even though 110K miles, FSH though)

Is it worth getting the auxiliary belt changed at the same time? they mentioned it would be parts only as it has to come off anyway..

I'm worried about the VSC light coming on after though as its well past that warranty extension.
I note they also replace the four injectors as part o the work 9not a bad deal there then!) will they balance them as well?
Going into JCB Honda Ashford BTW

Thanks

Steve

If it is parts only then you might as well.

Don't know the dealer, but there is no point worrying about the VSA issue - you ain't gonna stop it from happening if it is going to; although I when I had my manifold done I made a point of telling the dealer that I knew the VSA was susceptible to knocks, and that there was no problems with it at the moment. How much good it would have done had the module died after I don't know.

Not sure about balancing the injectors, but they will certainly be calibrated.

Hi all

Sorry not posted for a while

I have some news about my timing chain i did not want to post anything till i got it sorted. Did not want to tempt fate....

The car 2004 54 plate 98k with Honda service history 52k then nothing to prove, I serviced it at 96k with all the receipts to prove .They changed the clutch at 82k ish and replaced the exhaust manifold at this time sept/oct 10

Here the story goes.

I phoned my local Honda dealer ship on last Saturday 14/5 and spoke to service dept and explained the situation.

They booked it in on the Tuesday 17/5 just for inspection. There was an issue and they would pass the information to HUK

Received a phone call Thursday to my surprise for such a quick reply. Can you bring the car in on Friday 20/5 if its convenient HUK will honor the work needed to sort the problem out free of charge.

I was speechless I was not expecting this response

So i managed a couple of hours out of work, I waited to make sure they could get the injectors out as they did not have the tool there if they were stuck in.
They said if they were stuck in it would have to rebook it in.

But hey to my surprise again they all come loose

Rob came out to tell me they will phone later in the afternoon when its ready to collect. So i went back to work

Went back at 17:00 to pick it up. But only the receptionist was there for what ever reason so i thanked her for the service and what they had done for me. It was way beyond what i was expecting.

The drive home i thought it drove well before but now it feels like a new car

Phoned up today 21/5 .As i did not get a receipt would they send me a copy on.
I asked what would it have cost if i had to pay he said just short of 3k.True or not i nearly choked.

I thanked them all again for what they had done for me Rob said to me its a pleasure glad to of helped you and got you sorted out, if you have any more problems or we can help you in any other way do not hesitate to contact us.

AWESOME SERVICE WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR

Gene, fantastic result - very pleased for you.

Just as in your case and in mine a few posts earlier, even if you don't have a full Honda history as long as you can prove it's been regularly maintained properly, Honda tend to honour these claims.

Maybe CJ can help me on this.
I'm planning to take the car to Honda because of the rattle (which became louder when starting the car), and just needed to know, if possible, if the extended warranty of 7 years is available in Portugal too. Just to go there and have some info backing me up.
Thanks!

A very dead engine...cylinders hitting valves and all manor of nastiness.