What's new

16" wheels - would like to convert to 15"

phil the greek

Members
Reaction score
Car
'05 accord tourer
My '05 2.0 Accord Tourer has 16" wheels on it with 225/50/R16 tyres on it.

I thought standard fit for this models was the 15" wheels with 195/65/R15 tyres.

Now given that the 15" tyres are about half the price of the 16" tyres, I'd quite like to swap to the 15" jobbies.

Is there are "bits for sale" section here somewhere? have looked on ebay without much joy.

What about a swap with cash adjustment dependent on tyre tread? I've got Pirelli P7s all round.

I think you will find 16 inch are standard im not sure 15 is a good idea but wait and see what other people say.as for a sell section you might not have anogh posts to veiw it yet

I think you will find 16 inch are standard im not sure 15 is a good idea but wait and see what other people say.as for a sell section you might not have anogh posts to veiw it yet
The tyre pressure sticker on the door pillar quotes 15" wheels, and the original '03 Accord Tourer SE spec was with 15" wheels - according to the brochure.

I guess they must have upgraded them at some time - the thing is, these bloomin low profile tyres are largely there for cosmetic purposes and the tyre prices are very high.

What do you class as high? I had 4 on mine and paid less than 50 quid a corner fitted and balanced?

Tyre prices will vary a lot depending on load and speed ratings among other things. I think the 16" is one of the most popular tyre sizes fitted to golfs, focus etc so that makes them a very popular choice and helps keep the prices reasonable. With tyres it is always worth shopping around and I've found some of my local places cheaper than online. Personally, I'd stick with the 16s!

I thinking 15" on your car would look very strange and small, but image aside, you can run what even rim size you wish, as long as you keep the same rolling diameter.

this link might help; http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

Thanks for the replies gents,

Although they're 16" tyres they are a faintly ludicrous 225 section. I prefer Michelin Premacys for mileage, and admittedly I only looked at one quote, but it was £120 a corner :-0

15" wheels were deffinitely OE fitment when the Accord was introduced in '03 - yes it looked a bit under-tyred, but I can live with that! Plus Michelin tyres come in at about £50 a corner in this size.

What tyres do you people use and what sort of mileage do you expect?

I drive in a reasonably "press on" fashion, though I am sympathetic and don't spin the wheels away from every junction, given that I pay for the rubber!

cheers - phil

Phil , my wife has 2.0 SE tourer and it came with 15 inch wheels and TBH they were perfect for the car, handling was perfect really chuckable in corners , really good acceleration ..
don't suppose you've got 'em up for grabs have you?

sorry mate my mistake it must be that facelift with standard 16.

sorry mate my mistake it must be that facelift with standard 16.
Well I know my car is pre-facelift 'cos I thought the facelift came in 2006 and brought things like a trip computer, which my car hasn't got.

My car is deffo a march '05 car and was before the significant 2006 facelift, but I guess Honda must have introduced little upgrades along the way.

I would think I should still get the 15" wheels onto my car though, providing they're 5 stud and have the same rolling circumference, unless any one knows to the contrary!

Thanks again for the replies - I appreciate the input!

Phil, just re-read your first message :blush: The reason your tyres are so expensive is because of the specific size. Are these the genuine honda alloys or an after market alloy? The honda standard size 16" is 205/55/16, you'll find the prices more reasonable for this size.

Phil, just re-read your first message :blush: The reason your tyres are so expensive is because of the specific size. Are these the genuine honda alloys or an after market alloy? The honda standard size 16" is 205/55/16, you'll find the prices more reasonable for this size.
Ah - I thought something wasn't quite right, because these tyres are actually slightly wider than the wheel arches, which I thought was an MOT fail.

The place I bought it from gave it a fresh MOT last week, so either my understanding is wrong, or they didn't notice.

So, out with the screwdriver, take the little Honda badge off, and what do we find???

wheel.JPG

It's only got bleedin' TVR wheels on it!! - they look like they're off a TVR Griffith or something - shame they didn't stuff the 4 litre V8 under the bonnet too!

EDIT - they're off a TVR Cerbera

Oh well - anyone wanna set of 16" TVR wheels?

Blimey!!! Just don't understand why they didn't go and get a set of genuine honda ones! Not sure about MOT but your insurance company may get awkward as the tyre sizes aren't to manufacturer recommendations.

Incidently, the honda 17s are 225 as well but don't really sit out. I suspect the wheel offset is different as well.

Thats a shock i did think there was something funny about the size of the wheels when you said 225.

Can you not tell the dealer to supply appropiate wheels?

if not buy CJ's wheels they will be pampered I can ***ure you.

Can you not tell the dealer to supply appropiate wheels?

if not buy CJ's wheels they will be pampered I can ***ure you.

Pampered will not even do them justice. Theyll have been triple dipped and quadruple powdercoated. Then machine polished and the owner of the tyre brand of his choice would have put the tyres back on himself :lol:

Pampered will not even do them justice. Theyll have been triple dipped and quadruple powdercoated. Then machine polished and the owner of the tyre brand of his choice would have put the tyres back on himself :lol:
Yokas of course and the tryes will be cleaned as well :D

Yokas of course and the tryes will be cleaned as well :D
Do I detect someone fastidious about his car detailing? :lol:

My '05 2.0 Accord Tourer has 16" wheels on it with 225/50/R16 tyres on it.

I thought standard fit for this models was the 15" wheels with 195/65/R15 tyres.

Now given that the 15" tyres are about half the price of the 16" tyres, I'd quite like to swap to the 15" jobbies.

Is there are "bits for sale" section here somewhere? have looked on ebay without much joy.

What about a swap with cash adjustment dependent on tyre tread? I've got Pirelli P7s all round.
Be careful with brake clearance...the early accords with 15'' wheels had 280mm front brake discs and later models (with 16'' wheels) come with 300mm brake discs. maybe they will fit..maybe not