What's new

2003-2008 Honda Accord Boot Gas Strut Conversion

accord_n22

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord I-CTDI
Hi Guys
Just reposting this guide from back in 2016.
Alot of people have been asking me about it.
Enjoy guys!

Just having performed this on my Accord I thought it was a relatively neat modification

It will involve removing the torsion spring bars which currently hold the boot lid up and replaces it with gas struts usually found on higher premium cars. It does give that premium feel when opening and closing the boot.

Note: This conversion will not modify the boot lid to auto open.

Please see my other DIY guide which will guide you through to enable this modification

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Objective

To convert the Honda Accord boot lid to Gas Strut opening

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIY Guide Compatibility

For:

-Honda Accord Saloon 2003-2008 (both diesel and petrol models)

Chassis codes: CL7 - CL9, CM1 – 6, CN1 and CN2

Please note: I performed this on a face lift Accord. As I don’t own a pre face lift accord (2003-2005) I am not 100% sure if the boot interior trim etc are exactly the same.

Disclaimer

I won't take any responsibility for and damage or injury. You follow this guide at your own risk.

If you do not agree, please do not follow this guide.

This DIY has been written and intended only as a guide.

There may be other or easier ways of performing a stage.

Check and double check all bolts and fittings.

Background

The current boot lid on the Accord opens via torsion springs which are located underneath the parcel shelf. This torsion springs are twisted and tense under immense pressure to allow the boot lid to stay open.

The action is pretty lifeless; most premium cars feature a pressurised gas cylinder strut which hold up the boot lid. This lifting action should introduce a little bit of quality when opening and closing the boot.

This modification will also pair nicely with my other DIY guide to enable the boot lid to auto open from your keyfob.

Equipment Required

To get started here is a list of some of the tools you may require

-Trim Removal Tools

-Hammer

-Cordless Drill

-8mm Socket Wrench

Parts Required

For the modification here are the parts you require.

All components are bought from SGS Engineering

(x2) Fixed Force Gas Strut (State each Strut to be 356newtons/ 80ibs)

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gs8-18-110-160

If You don’t have an OEM spoiler – Gas struts should be fixed at 365 newtons /80 Ibs

If you do have the OEM spoiler – Gas struts should be fixed at 400 newtons /90 Ibs

If you have an after market spoiler then you may need to calculate the force require depending on the weight of your after market spoiler

SXOEPoh.png

HK6HAHh.jpg

(x2) 90° 10mm Inside Ball Stud Bracket

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/k9r-bracket

(x2) M8 Threaded 10mm Ball Extension

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/x4-ball-extension

(x4) 10mm Metal Ball Socket To Fit M6 Thread

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/b7-metal-ball-socket

(x4) M8 Stainless Steel Washer (8.4 x 24 x 2mm)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A2-STAINL...16-FLAT-WASHER-/201040235144?var=500236196005

(x2) Compression Spring (Spec: 2mm x 13mm x 119.60mm)

Spring to be cut to size approx 30mm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compression-Spring-2mm-x-13mm-x-119-60mm-2pack-/121427597364?

(2x) M8 x 1.25mm pitch Hexagon nuts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hexagon-F...Threads-DIN934-/161231331291?var=460279454897

Other Parts Required

(x4) Self Tapping Screws (No. 10 x 3/8” long (4.8mm x 19mm)

(x4) Washers

Suitable washers for no 10 self tapping screws

Above are usually found in most people’s tool box or garage.

Can be bought from eBay easily from the above specifications

K7UBUby.jpg

Compression spring below approx 30mm in length

hq8rmql.jpg

Last edited:
The Procedure

Step 1

Open the boot and begin by removing the spare wheel floor

9a4Wntd.jpg

You will need to fold the back seats down.

79guq9u.jpg

Once you have done this there should be clips holding the back end of the spare wheel floor. Remove these clips and the floor should come away easily

RvMb75G.jpg

Step 2

Remove the rear plastic boot trim (this unclips quite easily)

Lift from the bottom and lift away

The rubber seal edging can be gently lifted away to aid in removal

KkkCv5d.jpg

Step 3

Using your trim removal tool remove all the clips shown, start on the rear drivers side boot trim.

LyN97py.jpg

ku0Euzs.jpg

Step 4

Next stage is to remove the torsion springs

Hold the hammer as shown and twist as shown, the spring will unhook with a loud jolt.

Be careful as the springs are held with a lot of pressure.

Wear eye protection and heavy duty gloves if you have them

wUswxXm.jpg

Note: The boot lid will not be supported so either a second helper is required or a long pole to help prop the boot lid up.

Step 5

Attach the M8 ball extension through the boot arm where the torsion spring was previously installed. Fasten with the M8 x1.25 pitch nut.

Use Thread lock if you have some.

Ensure the ball link is installed facing the out side of the car with reference to the boot arm looking forward.

Excuse the pic – I didn’t snap one with the ball extension fastened on its own.

9ztF3uz.jpg

11Step 6

Attach the 10mm Metal Ball Sockets to both ends of the Fixed Force Gas Strut.

V0knRxH.jpg

Step 7

Remove ball link retaining clip and then attach one end of the gas strut to the boot arm M8 ball link – snap into place (keep retaining clip safe – will be needed later to finalize install)

RsLrrts.jpg

Step 8

Remove ball link retaining clip and the attach the opposite end to the 90° 10mm Inside Ball Stud Bracket – snap into place (keep retaining clip safe – will be needed later to finalize install)

Step 9

With the boot lid fully open, position the 90° 10mm Inside Ball Stud Bracket as shown below.

Ensure there is no additional play.

Whilst the bracket is in this position mark the holes ready for drilling

kpJBeru.jpg

Step 10

Drill the marked holes – Drill a pilot hole first (approx 1mm) and then secondary hole (approx 3mm) for the self tapping screw to bite sufficiently

Step 11

Detach the gas strut from the 90° 10mm Inside Ball Stud Bracket and screw into position as shown below using No.10 self taping screws together with its washer.

dKV0r2Z.jpg

Step 12

Remove the 10mm Metal Ball Socket on the 8mm rod end of the gas strut

Install the m8 washer and 30mm compression spring through the rod as shown below

Re-install the 10mm metal ball socket

MaXn2oF.jpg

Note: Without this spring the boot will not pop open slightly when the boot is released. This will not enable the warning sound when the car’s ignition is on and the boot is released.

Step 13

Re-attach gas strut to 90° 10mm Inside Ball Stud Bracket – snap into place

Fit ball link retaining clips to bracket and boot arm joints.

These prevent the ball sockets coming loose.

a7U0cBl.jpg

Step 14

Repeat for the other opposite side

Step 15

Prior to replacing all interior trim make sure you test the boot lid action.

Ensure the gas struts hold the boot lid up

Step 16

Re-install all the interior trim – reverse process of removal.

Re-test boot lid action per side to ensure there is no interference or any interior trim etc.

Adjust trim if required.

Gas Struts completed

oly9HTX.jpg

s4ID3sy.jpg

Notes

-Re-installing the Torsion Springs is extremely difficult without the specified tool. Please bare this in mind.

-Without the 30mm compression spring on the gas strut rod, it will not enable the warning sound when the boot is release whilst the car is on or in pre ignition.

-Ensure the retaining clips are inserted through the ball joints otherwise the gas strut can come loose

-Copper grease can be used on the ball links to prevent any seizing on noise

Many thanks for reading and I hope this guide has helped you

Accord_n22

01-05-2016

Version: 1.0

--------------------------- END OF PROCEDURE ---------------------------

Hello,

I do have the OEM spoiler and 400 newtons is not enough.