What's new

2004 2.4 Petrol Oil Change and Air Filter

whereami

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type-S 04
Here is Photos and a description of how to change the Oil filter and Air filter on a Accord 2.4 Type S.

Front end needs to be lifted. Ramp would be best.

Remove sump plastic cover shield which is held in with a bolt. And remove Sump Plug. Where my friends hand is where the Oil filter is, its on the back of the engine and he found its is easier to get to under the car not from the engine bay.

SDC11556.JPG

Drain oil completely.

SDC11555.JPG

Take off oil filter and replace with new filter. Only tighten by hand and do not over tighten. You can put a bit of oil on your finger and grease the rubber seal before fitting new filter on.

Replace sump plug, again don't over tighten, you can do damage and even cross thread the bolt causing a small head ache. Replace shield and bolt.

Add oil. 5w/40 synthetic I was recommended on this site.

SDC11557.JPG

SDC11558.JPG

4.2 litres should be ample.

check on dipstick the level.

SDC11559.JPG

All done!

Thank you Robert for the DIY very useful :)

Nice work Rob , loving the home made pit lol

Air Filter next.

Loosen off four bolts as seen here. Do not use the cross head as it was useless, use a socket set as this worked well.

SDC11562.JPG

SDC11563.JPG

Lift lid.

SDC11564.JPG

Put new air filter in and put lid back on and tighten bolts. Again Do not over tighten, just till you feel it get tight, then one more full turn If you think it needs it.

SDC11565.JPG

All done!! :p

Nice work Rob , loving the home made pit lol

I know, its make shift all right, Did have a few butterflies as he drove it on lol. But his workshop is a treasure trove for the petrol heads! I hope to do more DIY jobs and even some mods when some money comes in. :lol:

Nice one Rob looking forward to seeing the progress.

Nice guide :)

How should you check the oil afterwards, check the oil has reached the stick, then get the engine up to temperature before topping it up as you're suppose to check it when warm?

Also anyone else have problems with the oil smearing along the stick making it difficult to judge what the level is?

I let mine cool down, its a bit weird. I measured once and it was at min- about 1 hour after a drive. It was parked on my drive with a small bit of incline, seemed to make a difference as i moved it to the garage and checked again an hour later and it was at the max.

but yeh i think checking when cold it should be accurate on an even surface.

difference from min to max is about a litre so just a small top up will bring it up a good bit if it needs that.