What's new

2005 iCDTi Tourer Suitable replacement fuel tank

Algernon

Reaction score
Car
Accord iCDTi Ex 2005
Hi folks,
Been having problems with diesel slime in my tank since getting the car 5 years ago.
Tried marine grade cleansing enzymes and replacing sender unit & filter which works for a while, but then it comes back.
I want to replace the tank, but am struggling to source a decent second hand tank and balk at spending most of the value of the car on an official Honda spare.
Are other Honda tanks the same size / shape / actual part number?
E.g. could you fit the tank from a sedan onto my tourer? Maybe even the diesel Civics from that era have the same tank? (Maybe I'm clutching at straws, of course).
If anyone knows, I look forward to hearing from you! (or if you have a spare accord tourer tank you would be willing to part with for a whiff of cash?).
Cheers,
Al

The tourer tank is unique to the tourer, Saloon doesn't fit.

There are products that are used in the vintage car restoring world that cover the entire inside of the tank with a polymer coating. You need to take the tank out of the car (of course), so that you can prep (I think its a type of etching process) the tank and swirl the coating around inside to coat it.

Other than that, the Tourer petrol tank should be the same shape. I don't have the manual handy but they look identical on the engineering drawings at Ling's.

Diesel

Petrol

Mine was rear ended and I suspect the tank was damaged as the boot was shoved in by about 12" Otherwise I would give the name of the breaker that bought it.

Thanks folks - I'll keep looking but the things seem to be hen's teeth to find. If anyone finds one do let me know.

If you are considering replacing the tank then surely you are considering the cost of removal and replacement.

If that is the case then you could use the time to fully prepare the existing one, inspection, rinsing/flushing, (even using some petrol to kill off what is in there) and a bit of further flushing before reinstalling.

It might save you a few pennies.