What's new

2009 Accord Exec Handbrake adjustment

stonking

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen 2.2 Exc
Hi, Does anyone know how to adjust the handbrake on a Accord 2009 Exec? I have removed the panel at the back of the centre console but all I can see are the air vents etc. How do I get further in or do I have to come in through the top?

Regards

Got it. In the console bit where the usb etc is, remove the mat on the bottom. You will see at the front a 2 inch long hinge section. Lift that up and you can get at the adjustment nut with an open spanner. No need to remove the back or anything. Simples.

stonking said:
Got it. In the console bit where the usb etc is, remove the mat on the bottom. You will see at the front a 2 inch long hinge section. Lift that up and you can get at the adjustment nut with an open spanner. No need to remove the back or anything. Simples.

My 09 EX have not acces from bottom of rubber mat, i can not lift up smal part because is integrated part of piece with USB and other connectors.
My recommendation:
1.remove rubber mat from bottom armrest
2. unscrew 2 screws from bottom plastic piece with USB and other 2connectors
3. pry up centre console - where are drink holders
4.unplug connectors - USB and other 2 connectors
5.lift up full piece of plastic where are USB and other 2connectors
You can get acces to adjustment nut, little place with bad acces - thank you japanese engeneers:) spanner 12 to adjust

If this a tourer then why not adjust the shoes, inside the brake drum? Do not over tighten the cables, six clicks on lever is a minimum, any tighter and goodbye linings, or pads as the case may be.

I Would adjust shoes first then adjust at handbrake side if needed

kody33 said:
My 09 EX have not acces from bottom of rubber mat, i can not lift up smal part because is integrated part of piece with USB and other connectors.
My recommendation:
1.remove rubber mat from bottom armrest
2. unscrew 2 screws from bottom plastic piece with USB and other 2connectors
3. pry up centre console - where are drink holders
4.unplug connectors - USB and other 2 connectors
5.lift up full piece of plastic where are USB and other 2connectors
You can get acces to adjustment nut, little place with bad acces - thank you japanese engeneers:) spanner 12 to adjust
You sure about that? under the rubbermat, towards the AUX/USB connectors there is a "hatch" that can be opened on my 09 EX, but its a little hard to open, so you need to use some force with a screwdriver.

My car also has the little hatch (09 EX) and yes a bit of force was required but up it popped and there was the adjusting nut.

I was surprised at how much force was required to open the little hatch, I found it difficult to do the adjusting screw up much so the handbrake is only marginally better than it was.