What's new

225/45/17 to something with more rubber?

Just changed my front tyres,had Cooper Zeon 225/45/17's on down to about 3mm but suffered badly from tramlining and steering following lines and ruts etc. After a few weeks of trying to decide which make+tread pattern to go for I plummed for Pirelli P6000's (I own a garage so can get at trade). What a difference,so much smoother,quieter and steering so much more enjoyable,even the wife noticed straight away.

Hiya,
i find that Pirelli are generally soft, sticky-yes, but I prefer the extra 5-6k on the road. And don't get me started on the uni-directional!
Just picking up on a point mentioned much earlier on in the thread; I find that on mine (225/45/R17) the tyre pressure has a noticeable effect.
We use the Accord for everything under the sun and moon, from towing and touring to commuting in muddy/snow bound lanes, and so the tyre pressures get checked on a very regular basis; the first thing to say is that the fronts always look under pressure when parked, and this is even more noticeable with the Dunlops up front (now swapped with the Michelins that were on the back when we got the vehicle).
Overpressure (3psi) certainly increases the road noise especially on the worn tyres (about 2.5mm), although I would say that even this small overpressure does wear the centres on the front more noticeably (outside edges on the back) and maybe the more worn the tyre, the more the tramlining effect. The michelins are noisier than the dunlops when up front.
Anyway enough waffle, the speedo effect I've wondered about too - mine reads +1-2mph at about 30 and about +3-4 at 70mph, this is compared to roadside speed monitors whose purpose is surely to get you to slow down - hence it would be to their benefit if they slightly over-read - but they effectively under-read if my speedo is right. However, for overzealous speed cameras I think I'd much rather have my speedo over state my speed anyway.

So OK, now I'm happy to live with the speedo over stating it's role. What about the odometer? Does this report an inflated mileage which would be only be as accurate as the speed I drive at (2% @ 30, and 4% @ 70). Has a car that has covered a stated 100k actually covered 104k. Then what about my mpg...

Life's not boring is it?

Cheers
Emptygroves

It might be worth looking into Michelins or Vredistein tyres for a softer sidewall. Bridgestones have quite stiff sidewalls, in my experience of 010's and 040's. :unsure:

Mark, I was definitly over inflating the tyres, and ended up with mad uneven wear on the fronts Potenzas.

The Conti SportContact2s that I put in are much better, but last weekend I did notice some sort of booming noise, never heard that on the car before. The tyre could be under-inflated now though - haven't had a look in a while. What is most practical pressure for all corners of a 2.0 petrol Accord?

33psi front and 32 rear. its written on the drivers side door jamb of your car.