What's new

7th gen accord review from a non-honda guy

randalf

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-CDTI EX
Hi

As a relative newbie here and a recent 7th generation accord purchaser I thought that i would try and put something back into the board. While I expect that what I say won't sway some of you old hands, maybe it will be of ***istance to new people in the future. This being my first honda, it may be possible to show a perspective that is a tad different than that shown by those long term owners.

I'd also add that as a new owner, I haven't got everything as I would like it - yet. If I say something that is obviously (or not so obviously) wrong, please feel free to correct me.

Now I recently lost a VW scirocco in pretty nasty circumstances, as a result I decided to take the plunge and buy the car that has always been bubbling under on my 'to buy' list and that's an Accord EX diesel.

Cost and VFM

It appears that Honda are actively wanting to move the Accord up market, in price terms it's probably that bit more expensive than the equivalent Mondeo or Laguna, while being much cheaper than a similar age Merc or Beemer.

The EX (Sat Nav & HFT) model appears pretty fully loaded, I'd say that the only possible things that I would want in addition would be reversing sensors, USB input and MP3 compatible stereo.

So you get a lot of car for your money and you aren't paying a substantial amount more than a similar age Mondeo.

I'd also note that if you want an 8th gen Accord, there is quite a step up in price terms, even if you are talking about comparing an 08 7th gen and an 08 8th gen with similar mileage. Easily a couple of thousand pounds.

Driving

It's a very good drive, not a great drive IMO. I'd have to say a stock 3 series BMW is a better drive, but then the BMW has been the class leader for many years. If you believe the motoring press, the only cars that run it close are the Mondeo and the Mazda6. I can't argue too much with that only to say that if you take the 3 series out of the equation then the Accord is easily in the top 3 cars of its size and class for driving.

The engine is relaxed and torquey, pulling in most gears. It's actually so relaxed that you can easily slip over the speed limit, because you just don't believe that it is going so quickly.

yep, the 2.2 is a bloody good engine, class leading IMO.

Economy

well so far the trip computer hasn't really changed from an average of 50mpg over 500 miles. I can't comment upon the accuracy because I'm just not interested in doing the maths and working out just how far I can travel on a full tank. If the computer is accurate then it is more economical than a 2.0 TDI (140bhp) Golf, 1.9 TDI (150bhp) Seat Toledo and a 120d (180bhp) BMW by approx 5-8 mpg...which for a large car is pretty good going.

Interior

Well the interior is a pretty nice place to be, the sheer number of switches do take a bit of getting used to (how bad must the 8th gen be?) but I suspect that they will be much better than say BMW's iDrive (which is an absolute nightmare). The quality of plastics (and mock aluminium trim on mine) is up there with the very best of other manufacturers, certainly you would have to be in the £30k+ bracket to get a better quality interior. and then there is the seats.

my god the seats, I had a go in the Volvo S60 a couple of years ago and IIRC the seats were just that tiny bit more comfortable...possibly! if they were then there isn't much in it. They grip without squeezing you like a bucket seat, they support you and force a good posture. The leather is soft and supple. The only way that these seats could possibly be any more comfortable is if they replaced them with armchairs. oh my wife says the passenger seat is a touch too low for her and she can't find an adjustment lever to move it up.

Sat Nav

well it's pretty simple and 2d only (btw whats the highest version of software that a 7th gen voice activated sat nav can take???), but it works and the TMC is pretty accurate. It's also the only manufacturer supplied sat nav that works on 7 digit postcodes that i've ever seen. Typically you need to go and buy a tomtom or garmin for that, my 59 plate scirocco with full dvd sat nav didn't have this feature. The screen appears dated and cluttered, but then it was probably developed around 2000. go look at a ten year old tomtom and you'll see the Honda satnav is light years ahead.

Conclusion

There are elements of the car that are bettered by other manufacturers. but not by much. You won't buy this car because it has a better image than Audi or because it drives better than a BMW. It's not as prestigious as a Merc or as spacious as a Mondeo.

You'll buy it because it's more spacious than the Audi, has a better image than a Ford, drives better than a C Class and is better value for money than a BMW. It's a subtle car that has it's own areas of superiority and isn't that far behind the other top manufacturers in their traditional strong areas.

And this is comparing the 7th gen Accord with the current generation of large family saloons.....just think how good the 8th gen Accord must be

excellant write up. i was offered £4900 trade in on my 05 plate ictdi with 52k and history, how much audi or beemer are you getting for 5 / 6 k??

Excelelnt write up there,

the 8th Gen does have the features you missed in the 7th Gen, but it is smaller as a Tourer - you didn't mention whether you had Saloon or Estate?
I think if you do the standard fayre or getting a Stage 1 Elite remap and change the suspension a lot of the driving niggles will be dealt with.

Sat Nav as you say is pretty good as long as you don't rely in it to navigate you somewhere efficiently; but still worth having IMHO.

VFM? Best in class. I have been looking closely at the 8th Gen, but I think it will be a while before I think it is worth trading in the ol' 7th. I say this after a year of ownership and a couple of hefty repair bills.

Oh, is yours pre or post facelift?

Good write up Randalf. As a new Accord owner myself, I agree with a lot of your points, especially the seats, you honestly can drive all day in them no probs. Driving-wise I agree too - going over the moorlands near me it nicely absorbs all holes in the crap tarmac so much better than my old Almera but is not nearly as chuckable. TBH that's not really a fair comparison though - a large Jap box with a torquey diesel vs a small one that demands driving on the doorhandles!

Good write up Randalf. As a new Accord owner myself, I agree with a lot of your points, especially the seats, you honestly can drive all day in them no probs. Driving-wise I agree too - going over the moorlands near me it nicely absorbs all holes in the crap tarmac so much better than my old Almera but is not nearly as chuckable. TBH that's not really a fair comparison though - a large Jap box with a torquey diesel vs a small one that demands driving on the doorhandles!

Yep, a touch too big to be really chuckable.

And while i am starting to get to grips with the foibles, there is really too much torque to make driving in six inches of snow enjoyable. I can understand why it gobbles tyres.

Btw is there a way of getting the locks to auto lock when driving at say 10mph as an antihijacking measure?

Antihijacking? dude is Manchester still that rough?

Thats not a bad idea I lock my doors everytime I get in my car, not in my accord but Ive had a laptop stolen ifrom a boot in Westdrayton and someone tried to get into my car once in Greenford highstreet. After a violent incident in my home myself and the wife decidied to move to the midlands to escape somewhat B)

Good right up. I would just like to add that i have come from a BMW 318i se (2001 facelift with a 2.0 4 cylinder engine) and my main gripe with that car was the twitchy steering. I took it to many mechanics thinking it had suspension issues only to be told it was the norm for an e46.
I honestly rate my Accord as a much better car than my 3 series. Its bigger, More comfortable, Has more toys, Much better sound system (although i do miss the autodim mirror and trip computer) And is infinately more reliable.
I bought in to the hype when i purchased my BMW and was completely disappointed with it to be completely honest.
There is no bias with my short review and im sure a 330ci would have been a much nicer car than my 318i but i still could not live with the tiny boot and god awfull steering. I have never had a car that tramlines so badly that it actually put me off driving it. It was only on 225 wide tyres on the front so the tyres were not to blame.

If you read my post in the newbie section you'll see how i went from a '59 plate sciroco to an '07 plate Accord, and yes it does appear that manchester is that rough.

Yeah I remember that one... Sad news.