What's new

8th Gen Accord top front control arm replacement.

smokingman

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2008/9
Sorry no pictures.

Here is the step by step how to, this is only a guide of how carried this out but the 40mm is from the Honda repair manual.

• Jack up and remove road wheel.
  • Loosen the 6 nuts from the top of the shock absorber.
  • Remove the ABS & brake lines from the shock absorber.
  • Remove the pinch bolt from the top of the fork to the shock absorber, then remove the bottom bolt from the fork to lower suspension arm and remove fork will need to leaver the suspension down for this.
  • Place rags etc. over the top of drive shaft as risk of damage to CV boot. Remove shock absorber forward down and out, may need to raise suspension for this.
  • Split top ball joint, remove the two bolts holding the top control arm.
  • Replace control arm but do not tighten bolts yet.
  • Fit top ball joint then this is IMPORTANT raise the suspension until there is 40mm between the top of the control arm and the cut out in the arch liner.
  • Then tighten the control arm mounting bolts.
  • The rest in true Haynes fashion is the reverse.

Sounds easy by those instructions, but is a bit of a ball ache job I found, those top bolts are awkward to access and remove/replace. Never knew about the 40mm stuff, probably knackered by now the new one I fitted, Doh!

Yes the two mounting bolts are a pain, after watching a video about just moving shock to the side I decided to just remove it. Adds about 10 min to job but makes access so much better.