What's new

8th Generation Rear Break Pad Change. Help

deeno1975

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord I Dtec
Just doing a rear brake pad change for the 8th Generation Accord and I've come across a problem and need some help.

I've unbolted the 2 caliper bolds and am trying to remove caliper however I am not able to get it to swing free. When I looked at the replacement pads there is a spring retainer clip at the back of inside brake pad that inserts into the caliper. This is stopping the caliper of swining free from the disk and pads. This brake pad clip is not in any of the forums and helps I've looked at. It seems the rear caliper and pad is different from the 7th Generation. My head is now wrecked trying to get the caliper to swing free.

Is there a technique or a trick to getting the caliper away from the pads???? HELP!!!

Thanks

I would love to help mate but I haven't changed mine before.
If all else fails give steve a quick call at HH he might be able to give you a tip

I have change my rear pads 2 times now and yes the pad retainers are a pain. I fiound by pushing back the piston back then slidding the caliper back so that it is pressed up tight to the front pad , this should give you enough spare to move the rear pad out towards the disc. I have found this to work for me both times. first time I changed these did not find its easy two but im sure there is a nack to it.

I have change my rear pads 2 times now and yes the pad retainers are a pain. I fiound by pushing back the piston back then slidding the caliper back so that it is pressed up tight to the front pad , this should give you enough spare to move the rear pad out towards the disc. I have found this to work for me both times. first time I changed these did not find its easy two but im sure there is a nack to it.

Yeah cracked it, thanks for the prompt reply TMC, what little hair I have is intact.

As you said I pushed back the caliper (it does not require a wind back tool) by pulling it tight toward the disk. This allowed enough room to prise the pads up and out using a screw driver to help. It took me over an hour and a half to get the first one out but the second one took 10 minutes. Phew!! It was my first DIY job on my Honda and I though it was heading for a disaster but all's well that ends well.

It raises two questions for me.
1. How does the hand brake work?? Presume it uses the brake fluid to lock the pad to the disk!!
2. Also the pads have uneven wear, more wear on the outside (not the caliper side), which I though would be the reverse. The caliper seems to slide easily on the guide so I'm not sure why uneven wear!!!

Thanks

I'm sure its a hand brake cable linked to shoes in side the disc . I replaced my disc on the rear last time as one cracked and had to adjust to handbrake.

Tony

Yeah cracked it, thanks for the prompt reply TMC, what little hair I have is intact.

As you said I pushed back the caliper (it does not require a wind back tool) by pulling it tight toward the disk. This allowed enough room to prise the pads up and out using a screw driver to help. It took me over an hour and a half to get the first one out but the second one took 10 minutes. Phew!! It was my first DIY job on my Honda and I though it was heading for a disaster but all's well that ends well.

It raises two questions for me.
1. How does the hand brake work?? Presume it uses the brake fluid to lock the pad to the disk!!
2. Also the pads have uneven wear, more wear on the outside (not the caliper side), which I though would be the reverse. The caliper seems to slide easily on the guide so I'm not sure why uneven wear!!!

Thanks

how many miles has your car done and is it still under warranty?these could possibly have been replaced under warranty!usually the pads are very tight in the carrier which causes the outer pad to stick on and wear out quicker.

how many miles has your car done and is it still under warranty?these could possibly have been replaced under warranty!usually the pads are very tight in the carrier which causes the outer pad to stick on and wear out quicker.

The car is Nov 2008 with 41k miles and is just out of warranty (November). The guide on the caliper was moving freely but I see what you are saying that the outer pads are sticking where they sit. I did put some copper grease on where it sits so hoping that allows it to move more easily.

My Accord is going back to Honda this week to have the rear brakes looked at – I purchased it from Honda 2 weeks ago but noticed a noise from the rear when driving, it sounded like gearbox whine but after jacking up the car and spinning the rear wheels found that both rear wheels were grinding/squealing, as if the brakes were on very very slightly.

Have seen there is a rear brake issue with the American accord with sticking callipers/uneven brake wear, do a google search and there is quite a bit about it, known Honda issue, not sure about UK models though.

Vid of my wheel noise below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO61PsZu7lQ&feature=youtu.be

My Accord is going back to Honda this week to have the rear brakes looked at – I purchased it from Honda 2 weeks ago but noticed a noise from the rear when driving, it sounded like gearbox whine but after jacking up the car and spinning the rear wheels found that both rear wheels were grinding/squealing, as if the brakes were on very very slightly.

Have seen there is a rear brake issue with the American accord with sticking callipers/uneven brake wear, do a google search and there is quite a bit about it, known Honda issue, not sure about UK models though.

Vid of my wheel noise below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO61PsZu7lQ&feature=youtu.be
That certainty not right Paul and sounds like the callipers are sticking.
Guys just a heads up on changing your pads because of the shims on the back of your pads do not use copper grease.
This will react with the shims and corrode them.Honda recommend Molykote M77 grease and you can buy small bags from your dealers.

iv got similar noise on the 7gen ,but not as bad still it does sound like that :(

Guys have a look at Alan's link this will work in most cases.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/66-improving-brakes-%e2%80%93-the-basics/

Thanks for the thread link bro,im going to have to clean them out,and im also.planning on changing the disks and pads,didnt we have a trader who use to deal with t.a.

Bro give HH a call or vtec direct for a quote on your brakes.
Or if your going after market like EBC give us a pm as we have discount codes for all lol

That certainty not right Paul and sounds like the callipers are sticking.
Guys just a heads up on changing your pads because of the shims on the back of your pads do not use copper grease.
This will react with the shims and corrode them.Honda recommend Molykote M77 grease and you can buy small bags from your dealers.

Just to let you know when I purchased my rear pads from the main dealer there was a small packet of that grease Molykote M77 grease in the box along with the pads.