What's new

Accord i-CTDi aftermarket navigation

Ohype

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 7th gen
I've recently been looking for an aftermarket navigation (on aliexpress) for my 2004 2.2l i-CTDi accord and I've noticed plenty of sellers specifically stating that it does not work for i-CTDi diesel engines (doesn't work with air conditioning) while other sellers when asked told me it works perfectly. So has anybody changed their radio to an aftermarket navigation on their 2.2l i-CTDi diesels and can confirm there are working ones for sale? Would also be great if you could share some sites from where to order!

I have 2.2 dieseI from 2004 and ordered Chinese one which works with diesel.
It's waste of money,
- Sound quality, rubbish ( really bad sound like speakers want to blown up).
- Air con works but not linear like oreginal one.
Difficoult to set up desire temperature.
- Unit was made for left hand side car not for right, not sure if it was mistake or all of them are like this.
Knobs for air con were other sites

Strongly recommend to not to buy any aftermarket units from China.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

kamil10 said:
I have 2.2 dieseI from 2004 and ordered Chinese one which works with diesel.
It's waste of money,
- Sound quality, rubbish ( really bad sound like speakers want to blown up).
- Air con works but not linear like oreginal one.
Difficoult to set up desire temperature.
- Unit was made for left hand side car not for right, not sure if it was mistake or all of them are like this.
Knobs for air con were other sites

Strongly recommend to not to buy any aftermarket units from China.

What did you do after? Find a normal one or just change back to your old one?

My old one was with no navi.
I had to send back the Chinese one, paid £100 for sending it back. It was worst deal I ever done [emoji24].
Then I found navi unit with top dashboard and dvd room on one of the scrap yard, it was one from face lift model year 2006, I replaced it. Bit of wireing behind. Not easy nut possible. [emoji13]

kamil10 said:
I had to send back the Chinese one, paid £100 for sending it back. It was worst deal I ever done [emoji24].
Then I found navi unit with top dashboard and dvd room on one of the scrap yard, it was one from face lift model year 2006, I replaced it. Bit of wireing behind. Not easy nut possible. [emoji13]

Got any pics of the install and finished work?

Has anyone ever tried simply swapping over the navi head unit from a facelift into a pre-facelift?

Does anyone want to test it out... I've got a PFL and would love to have more up to date maps and so forth... can live without the phone function until I replace this one... If swapping over the navi unit and perhaps the DVD drive will actually work... it's something people need to know.

kamil10 said:

so you have successfully installed the navi from a facelift into your pre facelift non sat nav?

If so well done pal, thats a serious mod for these cars.

TypeR said:
so you have successfully installed the navi from a facelift into your pre facelift non sat nav?

If so well done pal, thats a serious mod for these cars.
Yea I made it with big help from one of the member from Polish accord forum.

I bought used navi unit with top dashboard and dvd drive and all wireing from big scrap yard.
It was difficoult but possible big problem was that guys from scrap yard cut all cables and I had to ***embled it together, Otherwise it would be not bad.

I'll try to add link from other forum but it's not in English, there are some pictures and photos.

kamil10 said:

I bought used navi unit with top dashboard and dvd drive and all wireing from big scrap yard.
It was difficoult but possible big problem was that guys from scrap yard cut all cables and I had to ***embled it together, Otherwise it would be not bad.

I'll try to add link from other forum but it's not in English, there are some pictures and photos.

http://www.accordklubpolska.pl/index.php?/topic/26010-pssnavi-przedlift-wymiana-na-polift/page-4

In my opinion... no.

Firstly: you've got to buy all of the stuff you need and that's not cheap.. ebay sellers are notorious for over pricing these things and I've seen them sat on ebay for months without selling You need the satnav unit, dvd drive, gps module and the top dash section with the clock and mini lcd display and all of the wiring plugs Trying to get all of that at current prices is going to set you back £400-500 for a 13yr old car... then factor in the cost of the map discs... which is unlikely to come with the unit and if it does will most likely be years out of date... A new one will add a further £140-150 to the cost.

Secondly: It won't give you bluetooth control even if you get a complete setup from a facelift accord and the additional BT module... you'll still be missing the steering wheel phone/voice controls.

When it comes to upgrades/mods you have to factor in the cost of the upgrade/mod vs the value of the car and any return you'll get on it... it's going to cost you anything up to 40-50% of the value of the car to buy/install (unless you get lucky and can pick up everything you need cheap) and it's not going to add any value to it. The car is already 13yrs old and realistically.. how much life does it have left in it.

I've been through the same thing... I wanted to upgrade my V2 satnav to the later V3 but It wouldn't get me BT or voice control and the only thing it would give me is the more up to date maps... From a value for money point of view... just not worth it on a car that I estimate will last another couple of years.

The cheaper option would be to get a USB system that plugs into the AUX socket on the rear of the unit, some of these will not only give you the ability to use you satnav on your phone, but BT as well... the most common ones would be xcarlink (iPhone only I believe) or the Grom kit... My only advice there is to do your research and never purchase anything from a company going by the name of carputershop or their business name of Mannocks.. they're grom resellers and are nothing more than cowboys who will try to rip you off, they lie, cheat and attempt to steal from customers. They are not part of grom (who I found to be exceedingly helpful with the problems I had with my Grom kit), so buy direct from them... Don't be put off by my bad experience with the kit... it had a faulty component somewhere and Mannocks refused to help troubleshoot it and tried to charge me up to £100+ to find out which part was faulty... Grom tried their best and even sent me some new leads from the USA for free whilst Mannocks wanted paying for replacements... and refused to refund me under my consumer rights for faulty goods. I had to take action to recover my money.. which I got back... But the whole experience with Mannocks was an unpleasant one that cost me about £50 to end up with the car as it was before I bought it.

There are loads of systems on ebay/amazon that will give you sound/music over the car speakers but no BT and can be found for less than £50, the grom kit will cost you £150 or so with BT and I have no idea of the xcarlink cost because I don't own an iPhone.

In my opinion... that's the way to go simply for the cost factor, and you can use your phones navigation which is free and more up to date.

I added a little magnetic mount for my phone so that it sits on the dash
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Easyount-Classic-Universal-frameless-Smartphones-EasyMount/dp/B00HVAA2GO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506935802&sr=8-1&keywords=easymount%2Bcar%2Bmount&th=1

kamil10 said:

good info thanks for this
big scrap yard down my way how much did you pay to get complete unit from scrap yard near you ?
my car is petrol version I guess it has to be from 2.0 or 2.4 for my car, might be cheaper than diesel unit from scrap yard ?
several people asking about putting FL into PFL and for DIY fans it sounds like reasonable upgrade to get unit complete from scrap yard :)

woodie said:
good info thanks for this
big scrap yard down my way how much did you pay to get complete unit from scrap yard near you ?
my car is petrol version I guess it has to be from 2.0 or 2.4 for my car, might be cheaper than diesel unit from scrap yard ?
several people asking about putting FL into PFL and for DIY fans it sounds like reasonable upgrade to get unit complete from scrap yard :)
Mine is diesel from 2004.
New maps updated by Honda you can get from one of the forum. Someone put link to there.

I paid £210 for unit, dvd GPS drive, top dashboard, wireing and Bluetooth module which I haven't used as I have xcarlink.

I had to go about 60miles to get this parts as place is here.
Menlo Industrial Park, Rycote Ln, Thame OX9 2BY

I wouldn't buy it If I had to pay 500-600 pounds

kamil10 said:
Mine is diesel from 2004.
New maps updated by Honda you can get from one of the forum. Someone put link to there.

I paid £210 for unit, dvd GPS drive, top dashboard, wireing and Bluetooth module which I haven't used as I have xcarlink.

I had to go about 60miles to get this parts as place is here.
Menlo Industrial Park, Rycote Ln, Thame OX9 2BY

I wouldn't buy it If I had to pay 500-600 pounds

i think you've done well there, kept costs down and created a better system. Once again really respect this mod as i know how difficult this one is.

Its been discussed many times before but i was yet to see someone do this.

TypeR said:
i think you've done well there, kept costs down and created a better system. Once again really respect this mod as i know how difficult this one is.

Its been discussed many times before but i was yet to see someone do this.
I spent lots of time to find some right topics online, and someone who could help me and advice.
It's done, I am happy.

Fair play to you, that's no small undertaking but you have what you want. I admire the ability and patience of people to get this kind of result.