What's new

Aftermarket stereo or xcarlink

goody

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord 03 2.0 exec
Hi, guys i have had enough of not being able to play mp3 or aac or other file formats in my car ,the factory fitted one is getting a tad bit boring now. I was thinking of installing an after market din cd player that has a usb and aux slot or an xcarlink connector, i do not mind installing a din unit in the storage space since i dont use it much,how will i go about it, will i need any sort of fascia ..i like having lots of information when i am playing a cd ... cd text,time remaining etc.what are the advantages of the xcarlink if i go down that route?
Another question is if i use the aftermarket cd player will i lose any functionality on the factory headunit..if anyone has installed one can you give me any pointers . :)

I'm interested in doing this too. I've had a search around but can't seem to find any real info. Would like to hear some real world experiences from people who have installed an additional unit in the storage below the factory unit.

Will keep an eye on this thread!

Have a look at JavJav - he has a sweet setup... Not sure if it what you are looking for though?

Have a look at JavJav - he has a sweet setup... Not sure if it what you are looking for though?
cheers i dont think he has any pictures up anymore i will try and pm him...but i am sure i saw a fascia kit for putting in a headunit in the diy section...Actually i wish there was a diy topic for this..

I'm interested in doing this too. I've had a search around but can't seem to find any real info. Would like to hear some real world experiences from people who have installed an additional unit in the storage below the factory unit.

Will keep an eye on this thread!

Not really sure what sort of set up you are looking for, but this is what you need along with a wiring harness: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-Accord-CD-Facia-Fascia-Panel-Adaptor-FP-15-04-/200598808821?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_FasciaPlates_SM&hash=item2eb49ee8f5#ht_576wt_905
You can also get a one for a double din stereo if you search. I have a single din set up, and it doesn't spoil the look of the fascia at all. I find that the aftermarket stereo radio has much better sound quality and options than the old standard unit- even with no steering control. Overall am pleased.

Not really sure what sort of set up you are looking for, but this is what you need along with a wiring harness: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-Accord-CD-Facia-Fascia-Panel-Adaptor-FP-15-04-/200598808821?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_FasciaPlates_SM&hash=item2eb49ee8f5#ht_576wt_905
You can also get a one for a double din stereo if you search. I have a single din set up, and it doesn't spoil the look of the fascia at all. I find that the aftermarket stereo radio has much better sound quality and options than the old standard unit- even with no steering control. Overall am pleased.
hey mutsaip thanks for that thats exactly what i needed, that fits just below the the factory fitted headunit console right? does the climate control and ac functions work as well as the lcd illumination on the old one? ..if possible can you put a pic up so i can see what it looks like thanks. :)

As Dan has said JVJAV has already done this mod and is even running a subwooder in the car.

Its a Pioneer bluetooth digital media receiver, much easier and better to use than my old x-carlink set up and also my second aftermarket stereo in this car. I'm not too sure what others have done, but I changed all the speakers (fronts now a bigger 17cm) and added two amps and a subwoofer. So yep, way way better than the standard unit
tongue.gif

cheers ..fitting an aftermarket stereo in today £75 just to put a new fascia and fit stereo :huh: ...but it has to be done today putting a nice pioneer in there.. :)

Well done dude, its good to hear that. £75 sounds kinda way too steep for a head unit install, but hey its done. What head unit did you go for, did you replace the speakers as well, any other plans???? By the way, post a pic too.
just had it done the sound is so much better now.. :D

Well done dude, its good to hear that. £75 sounds kinda way too steep for a head unit install, but hey its done. What head unit did you go for, did you replace the speakers as well, any other plans???? By the way, post a pic too.
got the pioneer deh 6300sd ..controls my ipod,allows for sd and usb use..and the good thing is if i want to upgrade it i can always do so it will be a straight swap...i have not changed the speakers but what a difference the pioneer unit makes....its clearer more bass mids and treble its got a 5 graphic equaliser. The factory unit is a let down!! just was not pushing the speakers in the car enough. what speakers did you install and where? will put pics up later :)

Nice choice, it blends in well with the dash lighting too. I find using an SD card very handy in storing my favourite beats, and bluetooth/USB for my iphone navigation. All my speakers are Pioneers as direct replacements. Only the front door speakers are bigger 17cms ones.
got the pioneer deh 6300sd ..controls my ipod,allows for sd and usb use..and the good thing is if i want to upgrade it i can always do so it will be a straight swap...i have not changed the speakers but what a difference the pioneer unit makes....its clearer more bass mids and treble its got a 5 graphic equaliser. The factory unit is a let down!! just was not pushing the speakers in the car enough. what speakers did you install and where? will put pics up later :)

Nice choice, it blends in well with the dash lighting too. I find using an SD card very handy in storing my favourite beats, and bluetooth/USB for my iphone navigation. All my speakers are Pioneers as direct replacements. Only the front door speakers are bigger 17cms ones.
cheers mutsaip what are the speaker sizes if you dont mind me asking..

Any pics yet goody? The head unit is quality looking, I like the colors, curious to see how the fascia blends in.

Looks really good mate - love the head unit and its a nice clean install.

I'm a big fan of Pioneer; installed the DEH-30MP head unit in my last car and replaced all the stock speakers with Pioneer components and 6x9's - the difference was phenomenal!

Is that a Foo's track I see in the first picture!? :D

Looks really good mate - love the head unit and its a nice clean install.

I'm a big fan of Pioneer; installed the DEH-30MP head unit in my last car and replaced all the stock speakers with Pioneer components and 6x9's - the difference was phenomenal!

Is that a Foo's track I see in the first picture!? :D
Thanks!!The installation cost me a fair bit of money but i think it was worth it, yep it is a Foo`s track :D i might change the speakers on mine but i am just amazed how the stock speakers sound with the pioneer unit the factory headunit was meh!! :D

Looks nice mate, well done.
smile.gif
smile.gif
Was just thinking too myself though, the standard Accord stereo is very good compared to other cars in the same class. I have friends who drive BMWs- 120D & 118D. In my opinion the sound quality of their systems is nothing compared to the Accord system.

Yes everything works apart from the volume of the standard head unit. This is how it looks: http://i1231.photobu...ii/STP60219.jpg

Mutsaip, could you let me know which dashkit you have installed here?, I've been looking at the Connect2 and Autleads dash kit, not sure which is the best fit.
Can you still play CD/Radio on the OEM system?

BTW - Install looks great!
Thanks
Kal

I bought mine on ebay 3yrs ago shipped from the States. It came with a wiring harness so installation was easy. The radio display remains fully functional, all you will lose is the volume and steering control of the standard head unit.

hey guys, just wondering is there no way the steering wheel controls could be made to work with an aftermaket stereo??? if it could id be replacing mine.. :)