What's new

Alarm with a mind of its own- aaaaaaargh!

SCOTTP999

Members
Reaction score
Car
04 CTDI TOURER
Morning all

Looking for some ideas here........2.2 CTDI Tourer

Whilst having some very painful dentist surgery yesterday the receptionist interrupted to ask if I had a blue Honda Accord - yep, thats me!! The alarm had been sounding for about 10 mins and had now stopped.

Went outside - silence. Drove to work, locked the car and popped into my office. 10 mins later, alarm going off. Checked all doors, windows,
bonnet and tailgate- all closed.

3am this morning - alarm goes off !! Locked again. All good until i get diesel at 7.30am- lock car and pop in to pay and alarm sounding off-again!!!

in 2 days i need to leave it at the airport for a few days and dont want to come back to a flat battery!! checked all plunger switches for the doors and they are all fine- no leaks in the boot and bonnet closing as it should.

Im stumped!!! help!

:eek:

here are some ideas, read http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1206944

just out of interest have you added any new electrical bits, like a new radio? also has the car had any trouble starting recently, one idea is the battery could be draining itself. but tbh these things are a nightmare to get to the bottom off! :(

here are some ideas, read http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1206944

just out of interest have you added any new electrical bits, like a new radio? also has the car had any trouble starting recently, one idea is the battery could be draining itself. but tbh these things are a nightmare to get to the bottom off! :(

Hi mate- I havent added anything at all recently - only changed the bulbs two weeks ago! have also checked the courtesy lights, boot lights and have set these to off thinking they may have caused it to drain (they are all led's with a low draw). no problem starting it, no battery light is on, no MIL light and no lights showing anything is open

thanks for that- ill have a look and see what I can find

:unsure:

had this very thing myself, first the bad news

you cannot in any way disable the alarm... no matter how you lock the car its on and will go off randomly till you fix the issue

Now the good news... I found that on mine it was the tailgate locking mechanism. basically there is a microswitch that tells if the tailgate is shut or open. On mine it was sticking so the alarm would get a signal that "someone" had opened the tailgate hence firing the alarm. You can dismantle the unit and clean all the connections including the circular positional switch that also affects the open/close motor(on mine the springyness had become weak making the connections intermittent, a gentle bend back to shape does the trick). took me about an hour IIRC and is simple if you have a methodical head on you. Mines been good ever since.. ~ 18 months now.

PS its ~ 450 quid for a lock and its a one hit unit, me being a tight git and mechanically minded is what drove me to pull it to bits ( I was going to just short the switch so it always thought the tailgate was shut )

next time its happening, instead of immediately unlocking the car, peek at the door open light thing on the dash to see if its showing which door is ****y. then work from there.

Hope this helps and yes its a right PITA

had this very thing myself, first the bad news

you cannot in any way disable the alarm... no matter how you lock the car its on and will go off randomly till you fix the issue

Now the good news... I found that on mine it was the tailgate locking mechanism. basically there is a microswitch that tells if the tailgate is shut or open. On mine it was sticking so the alarm would get a signal that "someone" had opened the tailgate hence firing the alarm. You can dismantle the unit and clean all the connections including the circular positional switch that also affects the open/close motor(on mine the springyness had become weak making the connections intermittent, a gentle bend back to shape does the trick). took me about an hour IIRC and is simple if you have a methodical head on you. Mines been good ever since.. ~ 18 months now.

PS its ~ 450 quid for a lock and its a one hit unit, me being a tight git and mechanically minded is what drove me to pull it to bits ( I was going to just short the switch so it always thought the tailgate was shut )

next time its happening, instead of immediately unlocking the car, peek at the door open light thing on the dash to see if its showing which door is ****y. then work from there.

Hope this helps and yes its a right PITA

Thanks mate- will strip it at the weekend- looked at the lock and it is quite mucky- did a quick diy job of liberally spraying some WD40 into it last night and cleaning what I could- touch wood, no sound last night! will give it a good going over on saturday!

cheers

:D