What's new

Anyone brave enough to have changed the diff bearings ?

geoffdragon

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord 2.2 ex
Hi all,
Recently bought a 2005 CDTi EX 5 Speed with 113k and full Honda history. I have the dreaded 50 - 65 mph wobble and my local garage have looked at the driveshafts for me.
The drivers side inner joint has a lot of movement in the splines and they are changing the shaft.
The passenger side also has a lot of movement in the inner joint splines where it enters the diff.
The mechanic that looked at it said he thought that the diff bearing was showing play and that the whole thing was moving.
I'm hoping the splines on that driveshaft are shot - same as the drivers side.
The gearbox is very quiet and I would have thought that with play in a diff bearing it would have been whining, either on power or on overrun.
Going to get them to change the passenger side shaft as well and then see if the play dissapears.
I guess that while the shaft is off they should be able to see if the diff moves about.
If it doesn't, thats fine, but if the diff bearings have gone I wonder if anyone has info on changing them.
From the parts diagrams I think that all is exposed on removing the end plate off the box.
There are taper bearings each side of the crownwheel and I would have thought any decent bearing factor could match the numbers on these.
I also see there are spacers. Were these sized at manufacture and would they be ok to re-use. I would have thought all bearings would be manufactured to the same sizes.
Speculatively priced a rebuild with a gearbox reconditioner, and they estimate around £600, but they want to change all the bearings in the box.
If the bearings are a take out drop in swop, I'd be happy to do that myself - even buying off Honda would only cost about £100.
Just wonder if anyone else has had a go at this job, and what was the outcome.
Advice and comments welcomed.
Geoff

I thought to get at the diff bearings you've to pretty much strip the whole gearbox and at that point, you may as well do the whole lot or just get a 2nd hand box from a breaker.

FWIW - the diesel box seems pretty solid (if a little agricultural in the 5-speed form) and I've not come across too many gearbox problems (actually none!).

The 55-60mph wobble is nearly always the drive shafts.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm fingers crossed that it's the splines on the driveshaft that have gone.
Maybe the mechanic had a preconcieved idea as he told me he had done a Jaguar with a goosed diff bearing last week.
No oil leaks from the driveshaft seal and I would have thought that would be the first thing to let go.
If it does turn out to be the diff bearing, I'll probably try to get the lowest mileage one I can from a breaker. Definitely try to get one on sale or return following inspection.
Good to know the gearboxes are pretty much problem free otherwise.
As for "agricultural", having driven Isuzu Troopers for the last 15 years, this feel like a racing box. LOL
Thanks again, maybe sleep better tonight.
Geoff

Let us know how you get on!

Regarding the "agricultural" feel of the 5 speed, that's only relative to the six-speed which came with the facelift. The 5-speed I would imagine is waaayyy slicker that a 15 year old Trooper :)

Success.
Drive shafts changed and steady as a rock.
Splines on inner end of both shafts cream crackered.
No play in diff.
Happy camper. LOL
Best regards, Geoff
:) :) :)

Brilliant news! As said the gearbox is pretty solid.

Enjoy the driving... :D