What's new

Anyone get fumes in cabin after getting new manifold?

SimonG

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2iCTDI 2004
I had my manifold changed about 1.5 years ago (16k miles), the fumey problem was fixed and I was very happy. Recently it has started getting fumey and last night was the last straw as it was very fumey again, it seemed worse than it ever was before I had the manifold changed.
Is it likely to be a crack in the new manifold or more likely to be a connection somewhere has come lose? If I took it back to my dealer (Newton Honda in Croydon) is there a warranty on warranty work?
I noticed when changing the oil last week that the manifold cover was lose as the bolt at one end had fallen out and was missing, I have replaced this but it just made it worse, is this a clue as to the problem?
Sadly I am nowhere near HH!
Thanks,
Simon

There were reports of some dealers using the old design when they did these swaps just to use up stock. Don't know how true they are or whether you'd be affected but it would be north investigating with another dealer.

Yes there is a warranty on warranty work. it should be covered for 12 months.

There was a slight smell when mine was changed, which I was told there would be, but when mine was put back together it had an oil seal which failed and was leaking oil over the drive shaft and then splattering it on the engine and a split coolant pipe leaking around a litre of coolant every 50 miles. I had to take it back obviously, but all was done FOC as it should be. If you can smell fumes take it back to where it was done first, it maybe a genuine error that they can and should sort.

Simon im not sure about this but my advice is take the car straight back to the dealer that done the job.

I should have mentioned that it was fitted about 18months ago and then the mileage was 122k, now it is 138k.

It seems I need to return to the stealers to get it looked at, I guess I will have a fight on my hands, wish me luck!

I should have mentioned that it was fitted about 18months ago and then the mileage was 122k, now it is 138k.

It seems I need to return to the stealers to get it looked at, I guess I will have a fight on my hands, wish me luck!

Well you still can make the point that the manifold should last longer than 16k, you need to take it back just to get it confirmed that it is the manifold.

One thing though if it is the manifold and the dealership refuse, speak to Honda customer service, make your case to them but keep it civil, pointless taking it out on someone who is there to help.

Good luck

It is important to find out what version of the manifold you have fitted!

I now have a feeling the manifold is not at fault as I made a discovery tonight that warranted a new thread, please look here:
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/4937-tarry-deposit-by-injector-on-cylinder-head/
Thanks,
Simon