What's new

Anyone removed their steering wheel controls?

nick 9-5

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer LPG
Just wondering what the procedure is for removing the steering wheel controls, do you have to take the airbag off to get them off?

You'll need this..Linky

Should be plenty in stock :).

Ha Ha Dan, I may be ham fisted but I was hoping to use a little more finesse than that!

I dont think you do mate, not 100% but you probably will loose the connection to it so make sure you dont power the car up while disconnected as it will most likely throw up the abag light.

Curious why?

No pleasing some people...

Try this then:

Linky

If you want to remove the steering controls, you'll have to undo 2 screws behind the wheel. Not an easy job.

Interesting...

Nuno, didn't you mod your wheel in situ with a little elbow grease and got a Matt effect?

I don't think you need to remove the steering controls to apply the vinyl:

I bought a sheet last week from that ebay seller you mentioned- looks really good quality but its actually black in colour so its darker than the carbon trim already in the car (Type S), as I was also thinking of applying some around the steering controls. I'm not sure how durable the vinyl is though
huh.gif

I fitted the carbon effect dash parts the other day and was thinking the steering wheel controls would look good if I covered them in THIS

Interesting...

Nuno, didn't you mod your wheel in situ with a little elbow grease and got a Matt effect?

Yes I did. Quite nice actually. But its a bit shiny, but not too much.
I tried to remove the controls, but after undoing the screws, I couldn't take the controls out. Didn't had room to put my fingers inside and unplug them.

I don't think you need to remove the steering controls to apply the vinyl:

I bought a sheet last week from that ebay seller you mentioned- looks really good quality but its actually black in colour so its darker than the carbon trim already in the car (Type S), as I was also thinking of applying some around the steering controls. I'm not sure how durable the vinyl is though
huh.gif

Thanks for the reply. As you've already got some do you not think it would match the interior very well?

I was still scratching my head over it, I hadn't anticipated it to be darker- should have ordered a sample first. However I can only use it on the steering wheel (the silver steering controls, and the black bottom part of the upright spoke), I will leave the passenger door handles coz I like the metal effect.

I was still scratching my head over it, I hadn't anticipated it to be darker- should have ordered a sample first. However I can only use it on the steering wheel (the silver steering controls, and the black bottom part of the upright spoke), I will leave the passenger door handles coz I like the metal effect.

Had a look at the 3m stuff and there are quite a few shades of Carbon to choose from - I presume you've got the CA-421 stuff? I've ordered a sample of CA-420 which is described as Graphite rather than Black.

http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/blog/3m-carbon-fiber-di-noc-now-available-in-7-different-colors/

I got it from a ebay seller called Underground Graphics. They only seem to have the vinyl in black or white, but it looks really nice. Im sure it would look really good if installed properly.

Just wondering what the procedure is for removing the steering wheel controls, do you have to take the airbag off to get them off?

My experience of a similar problem on an '05 tourer Ex:

The previous owner has spilled something sticky in the steering wheel stereo controls, and although functional I wanted to remove the switch ***embly to clean it out.

I guess the right way is to remove the steering wheel complete and deal with it on the bench, but I have three problems with that: disconnecting the air bag (without it going off or throwing an £xpensive light on the dash), getting the wheel off its splines without a puller and the risk of a knackered clock spring.

Anyhow, I had a go with the wheel on the car.

There are two pozi screws accessible on each rear-side of the steering wheel through holes in the back of the wheel cover (two for the stereo switches and two for the cruise switches). Rotate the wheel so the holes are at twelve o'clock for best access.

afblhy.jpg

These screws release the switch ***embly (note the access holes are smaller than the flanged screw heads, so although they can be undone, the screws can't be withdrawn through the back of the wheel -there is a significant risk they come adrift and end up rattling round the inside of the wheel!).

Unfortunately the connector for the switch ***embly is on an angled bracket that sits under the air bag. With the air bag in place I found it impossible to manoeuvre the switch into a position where it can be unplugged and withdrawn.

'No problem' I thought, 'I'll just remove the air bag screws and ease it forward quarter of an inch' (leaving it connected). Easier said than done! The T30 torx screws are easily accessible at the three and nine o'clock positions through access holes in the side of the wheel, however they have some serious thread lock on them!

I managed to get quarter of a turn out of each of the screws (successfully loosening the air bag module, but not enough to remove my switches) but that is as far as I dared go. The on-going mega-tightness of the screws meant they got pretty mashed. I had to quit whist there was enough bite left to get them back in! If I'd carried on I'd have stripped the heads and had a rattling air bag. Drilling them out might be an option, but I'd want the wheel off after that to hoover out any swarf (and as mentioned earlier I want to avoid removing the wheel!)

In summary: a disappointing failure :-(

I'll live with the sticky switches for now. If anyone else has a go, I'd recommend using the best quality torx driver you can find (probably on a ratchet bar rather than a screw driver) and be prepared for them being too tight to shift.