What's new

Are there any good points to a 2.2 Auto?

Jack Sparrow

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2
Hi all,

I should be picking up my Accord on Saturday (2.2 Auto), and i'm actually pretty excited to tell you the truth.

However, all I hear are bad points about the 2.2 diesel.
'Fuel economy is rubbish, might as well get the petrol'
'The auto box is not good with fuel'
'DPF problems here and there'

I ask are there any positives to this car? It seems that this car needs deleting from Honda's database from what I've read.

Also, how come it seems that this car suffers a lot with the DPF yet it's the only diesel car i've heard having BIG issues with it? Many diesel owners I know have never heard of a DPF, yet I've heard about it before i even have the car.

Cheers!

Jack

Mine is a non auto idtec and done 55k miles.

Had a new turbo under warranty quite new into its life, and apart from that, been perfect.

It needs taking on a good run now and again to get some heat into the exhaust to clear out the DPF, and most importantly I feel, make sure it ONLY gets filled up with 0w30 oil - Low SAPS.

I've heard stories of honda dealers trying to sell people 5w30 as they have it in stock, or other garages using the wrong grade oil, and I know the manual mentions it, but stick with the low SAPS 0w30, and change it regularly, and it should serve you well.

Fuel consumption on my 2.2 manual is around 630 miles to a full tank on a run. About 550 if pottering about.

There are plenty of DPF problems with ALL makes of car (Google Mazda DPF for some horror stories). From what I have read the Honda one is fairly good and if yours has a DPF I'm guessing its going to be an 8th GEN?

The 8th gen Accord is a well made car, handles and rides well, is reliable. Is an alternative choice if you dont want to get a 'default' German car.

I think the iDtec is better with a manual. From what I've read if you do a lot of urban driving the fuel consumption wont better a petrol, but on long journeys it will do good mpg.

As others have said, make sure it has the right oil in it, the 0w30 low saps oil and has the latest software updates for the DPF, Visit a Honda dealer to check this.

Hopefully you are buying a diesel as you do high mileage. They are not suited to lots of urban driving, which can cause DPF blockage.

Thanks for your input guys.

Unfortunately I'm limited to an automatic as my missus is American so can't drive a manual haha.

We've bought it on the anticipation that we'll be driving 30miles to work each day next year. But for now they'll be short journeys. I'll just have to ensure that we do the recommended 20minutes at 40mph each day for now.

I never realised about the ECU update? I ***ume I can walk into any Honda and get this done?

And yes it's an 8th gen

Yep Honda dealer, they will charge I think, so shop around for the best price. Should be able to get a free Honda health check also whilst its there, for peace of mind.

Here's a reply from someone who actually owns a 2.2 iDtec auto.
We've had ours (2010 French market model with ADAS) since early last year. It's a bit big on the outside for the room available inside, particularly in the back. It's comfortable and quiet (except when stone cold) and the transmission is the best I've ever had in my more than 30 years experience of autos, many of them Hondas. We do quite a lot of miles - 17k in the 16 months we've had the car - and achieve in estimated mpg about 45 day to day, rising to 50 and a bit on a motorway run. For what the car is - ie relatively big and heavy - I consider that reasonable, but diesel is comparatively very cheap in France anyway. It has now done 56k miles and has always been Honda main dealer serviced, using Fuchs 5-40 and now 5-30 oil, with no apparent issues. The quality of the paint and general finish is dismal, compared to earlier Hondas we have owned but seems to be pretty much the expected standard nowadays, sadly. Chips around the nose and bonnet, in particular, are a pain. The finish of the 17in standard alloy wheels isn't brilliant, either.
I don't think, overall, you will be disappointed.
Hope this helps...

richsprint said:
Yep Honda dealer, they will charge I think, so shop around for the best price. Should be able to get a free Honda health check also whilst its there, for peace of mind.
Honda will charge?

Weren't the accord's specifically recalled for this though?

We have a 2.4 petrol auto. Its a good gearbox with smooth and quick changes, although not quite as good as the best German gearboxes these days. Overall it's been super reliable.

Diesels and auto gearboxes are a good combo. I do quite a lot of motorway miles in our other car (Merc diesel auto) and the auto is perfect for that. The reports here suggest that the Accord diesel auto does seem somewhat slow and uneconomical compared to many others. The Merc 3.0 cdi does as better MPG compared to the the figures the Accord diesel owners report here.

BTW - I completely agree about the paint quality. Seems very thin on Mk8 accords.

I had my 2.2idtec just over a year ive done 19k miles so far on it, its getting on 64k miles now. Never ever had probblem with anything. I do mixed driving local and motorways, my mpg used show around 38/39mpg most the time. Ive had my dpf removed and gutted. Now im average is 43/44, it drive sooo much more smoother and is definatly very responsive if u ever want floor it.
Had a4, Before this. This is dream compared to that a4.

It is a really good car and does what it should do. My auto 2.2 idtec does no 40mpg in general but i did really hammer it once and got 31mpg. If you have flappy paddles these are good for shuffling up the gears and using less fuel. Re the DPF issue, aside from the oil, make sure you only use non supermarket fuels or if you want to use supermarket fuels make sure you only use them 20% of the time. This engine seems to be very sensitive.