What's new

Auto box software updates

james2512

Members
Reaction score
Car
C220 AMG Sport Plus
Hey guys,

Just rang the local dealer today for a price on a second service for Auto Accord and was told it was most likely due some software upgrades to the auto box and possibly the engine ecu??

Now I had the car re-mapped a few months ago by Celtic tuning and I am fear my local dealer will over write the engine ecu. Is it possible to software update the auto box ecu on its own without touching the engine ecu?

On a seperate note, can anyone tune the auto box itself maybe to disengage the torque converter as it does spoil the fun at low rpm.

one thing i wouldnt do is re-map a car under manufactures warranty, no offence meant in any way. not sure what went on with that accord at the meet but would have needed checking the outputs of the dlc port which we didnt have time to do with so many peeople booking work in that day. it is usualy the communication like between the cars ecu's that causes read errors and it does make me wander if somehow this is changed with a chip. i would see how things go during your cars service and if a problem is reported, take it up with celtic.

Sorry for the late reply......

I used Celtic Tuning after many recomendations of them from Civinfo. I made the long travel all the way to Cornwall to have them re-tune the car. I can confirm that they did indeed remove the ECU from the car, remove the map from the car, tweek it and then re-uploaded the map.

The whole process took around 3 hours, and they did pont out that there is no fixed time on re-loading the software as each ecu will react differently.

As I have the auto, Celtic advised for safety reasons not to dyno test the car as this auto has no true gear lock, we could have ended up with all sorts of results or a car in bits!

Again for safety the tourqe limit for the car is limited around 410NM to prolong the clutch.

Ive been running this car with the map for approx 5 months and have covered around 7k miles and everything is perfect. I all fairness the car is smoother, a little quieter on tick over and best part.... very response with a good power delivery. In addition I know average 45-47 mpg on my 150mile trip into the office where before remap I could not get the car above 41 mpg.

My original qustion over the auto box is that it seems to swallow up the low down tourqe normally given with a manual. In my opinion the car now reminds me of my wife's petrol Civic, not alot going on until 2800rpm and then this car takes off. I just miss the low down pull of a manual.

one thing i wouldnt do is re-map a car under manufactures warranty, no offence meant in any way. not sure what went on with that accord at the meet but would have needed checking the outputs of the dlc port which we didnt have time to do with so many peeople booking work in that day. it is usualy the communication like between the cars ecu's that causes read errors and it does make me wander if somehow this is changed with a chip. i would see how things go during your cars service and if a problem is reported, take it up with celtic.

Non taken at all. With the amount of miles I do per year there is no way this is going back to honda while I own it, Id be bankrupt with the service cost of £336.00

James like yourself i have the IDTEC auto and would consider getting a remap done in the future,it looks like a big increase in power for the engine,is there any long term risks with doing this
and how much does it cost to get it done ? no experience with this kind of thing so bow to your superior knowledge thanks for any advice.

James like yourself i have the IDTEC auto and would consider getting a remap done in the future,it looks like a big increase in power for the engine,is there any long term risks with doing this
and how much does it cost to get it done ? no experience with this kind of thing so bow to your superior knowledge thanks for any advice.

Hi Mate,

This cost me £300 + VAT but worth every penny in my eyes. Its makes the car so much more fun and alive to drive. Celtic tuning offer a mobile service for £375.00 better take a look on there web site http://celtictuning.co.uk

Give them a ring and ask questions, i sure did and they have a lot of knowledge and are happy to offer advice.

Just remember that taking the car to honda for a service may end up wiping your remap as Honda will appy any sevice updates to the ecu. Celtic did dvise that honda will not notice the car has been remapped and have had no reports of customers experiencing the dealer questioning the ecu, however they did mention that one or two people had come back to hav the work re-done after honda applied a service update.

To give you an idea of the increase in power, a work mateof mine has a 2.0 TDI 170 Golf and yes he can keep up until we get aroun the 3000 rpm mark in 3rd and it falls behind quite a bit. Got to think not bad for a car that is most likely twice the weight of a golf.

Let me know if you have any questions mate.

Will Celtic reapply their map FOC if it gets wipes by Honda ?

I seem to remember on our iCTDi's that a Honda update would not change a remap - but I it could well be different for you.

Out of interest - and quite possible dumbass question - are you concerned with the gearbox programming specifically or the engine as a whole?

Hello Jay fancy seeing you here :lol:

Will Celtic reapply their map FOC if it gets wipes by Honda ?

I seem to remember on our iCTDi's that a Honda update would not change a remap - but I it could well be different for you.

Out of interest - and quite possible dumbass question - are you concerned with the gearbox programming specifically or the engine as a whole?

I think should the map get wiped, Celtic will re do the work for a small fee as the map for my car has already been created so its just the bit of work to remove and re-fit the ecu.

I have no concerns with the gearbox it works well and does not struggle with the additional power, however im curious to see if the gearbox could be re-programmed to perhaps us less of the torque converter and more on the engines pulling brunt!

The remap is great but the major benifit is at 2800+ rpm

James thanks for that mate good to know, i will have a look at the Celtic site, i imagine it must be like getting in a sports car with the power increase,i will consider having this done
when my warranty expires.

Does the remap come with any kind of guarantee if things go wrong ?

James thanks for that mate good to know, i will have a look at the Celtic site, i imagine it must be like getting in a sports car with the power increase,i will consider having this done
when my warranty expires.

Does the remap come with any kind of guarantee if things go wrong ?

Celtic offer a 12 month warranty on the work so all is good.

Have you read the warranty leaflet?

http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/downloads/Celtic_Tuning_Warranty.pdf

life's a gamble but mine has performed faultless since having the work done, I ensure I keep an eye on the oil but to be honest there has been no change in level over the last 14,000 that ive now put on it.

Always worth chatting with other tuning company's as all offer different level of service with a variation of performance.

FWIW Celtic are one of the more reputable firms out there.

As log as you understand what you are doing to the engine that it is largely down to your own risk. as long as the new map doesn't have an error and try and push 300HP or summut the tuning company is just gonna say - "sorry pal, pre-existing fault".

Faddy watch out - I'll be coming after ya, I know where yo live ;) :lol:

:lol: