What's new

Auto levelling HID's

Alex of Smeg

Reaction score
Car
Accord type S 2011
So I recently got a 2011 type S tourer. I noticed when driving the dipped beams where super low and was looking for how to adjust them but couldn't figure it out. Anyway, I came to a stop after a long spell on motorway with super dipped beams and heard this kinda rattling/tinny noise from front right corner as I approached the red light. After this, I set off and the auto levelling was working as it should. Later, came to a stop again and heard the same noise. From this point on the lights were stuck in super low mode again. Some temperamental fault, I'm inclined to think its the level sensor rather than the motors because both motors do the same. Anyone familiar with this system and how to fault find? Is the sensor on front right where I think I heard noise from? Is there any way to test components with a multimeter? I'm considering unplugging motors when I have lights in a reasonable position as a temporary fix. TIA

Hi Alex.
This is based on my previous car that had HID's and not Honda HID. Anyway there are two sensors, one on the rear suspension and the same on the front, not sure of location on the Accord. Normally the front one is the main one that drives the headlights. There is a link arm between the sensor and suspension. I found that the arms could come off resulting in very low level lights, also susceptible to road dirt, water etc. Unfortunately the units are sealed so no way to test only with a known good one!

They are mounted on the passenger side front and back to lower suspension arms.
That have a short plastic arm with ball joint on each end

if the replacement rod part is costly, you can fabricate your own using hardware store rod end/angled ball joints and threaded rods to match stock length. it will likely outlast stock if you're willing to smear some grease on it from time to time

"smarter" cars with faulty tow mode sensing/rear load compensation can also cause hids to maladjust

if the replacement rod part is costly, you can fabricate your own using hardware store rod end/angled ball joints and threaded rods to match stock length. it will likely outlast stock if you're willing to smear some grease on it from time to time

"smarter" cars with faulty tow mode sensing/rear load compensation can also cause hids to maladjust
Yea I will investigate and fabricate something if I have to. Once the weather allows!! Just thinking maybe the little potentiometer (I ***ume that's what it is) is faulty.

I haven't had to do anything to my Accord but the wifes Impreza has HID and the little arm failed and caused the beam to be very low.
The local farm store had 6mm balljoint ends for tractor windows and two of them and a small piece of 6mm threaded rod made a very acceptable substitute.
The original one failed because the rubber seal let in water and grit and the ball fell out of the socket.