What's new

Back brake seized solid

MumboJumbo

Reaction score
Car
2008 Honda Accord
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but I use other ones which I've always found a good source of information, so I thought I'd join here and see if anyone can help me with a problem I've got.
I inherited my dad's car about a year ago, but I've hardly used it and at the moment it's been sat still sine June. I charged the battery last week and it started first turn of the key, but when I went to drive it the back brake (drivers side) is seized solid. I've had it jacked up today and been whacking the sh*t out of it but it's as if the pads are welded to the caliper.
Could anyone tell me if there's a simple fix for this, or will I be needing the services of a mobile mechanic?
All advice welcomed.

Cheers.

Also if you can free the caliper i would strip it down and clean everything with a wire brush.Then lube back up the the proper grease from Honda.
Im sure its Molykote M77 grease and comes with genuine pads.Normal copper grease reacts with the metal shims or so i have been told

http://www.amazon.com/Corning-Molykote-Lubricant-Silicone-Container/dp/B00B3URP1I

or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOW-CORNING-MOLYKOTE-M77-Paste-Grease-Lubricant-Lube-oz-Silicone-Oil-Moly-MoS2-/281006528716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416d4b58cc

Can't do the clutch thing - it's an automatic. I've gone forwards backwards lots but it's not budging.
I think I'm going to have to undo the caliper mounting bolts and then smash the caliper off - I can't think of any other way of sorting it.

Are you sure its not the handbrake stuck on ?

I had the handbrake off - always do as it's auto. I gave the mechanism a good smack but still no joy.
I covered the lot of it in penetrating oil so I'll have a look later and see if that's helped.

Dont break the caliper as the aren't cheap on Hondas. Just unbolt the caliper to release the pads. The you can free everything off and lube.