What's new

Boot issues.

Howlinator

Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord EX
First, can someone tell me how I know if my car is supposed to have a power lifting boot? Because if I do, it doesn't work. The boot will unlock using the key fob, the switch on the driver's door and the one on the boot lid, but it doesn't lift itself up.

Secondly, even if it doesn't have a power lifting boot, the boot does not hold itself open when I raise it manually. It just just drops back down at speed, with no resistance.

I'm guessing either I have a failed power lifting unit or missing springs somewhere. Can anybody shed any light on the overall operation of the boot? I've seen a lot of people talking about issues with the boot latch itself, but that works fine from all 3 buttons.

I've tried to look on YouTube, but can only find Americans talking about the US models. Any help would be appreciated.

Is yours a tourer or saloon? I think the power tailgate was only available on the tourer/estate cars. The boot button does not operate the power lift. Holding down the button on the key fob or in the driver’s footwell for about a second activates it, along with warning beeps and three hazard flashes.

If it’s not holding then you probably need new boot struts. On my tourer they are Stabilus Lift-O-Mat 74820-TL4-G311-M1.

FYI the 8th gen Accord in the USA was sold as the 2nd gen Acura TSX. Accords sold there are USDM only.

Last edited:
Is yours a tourer or saloon? I think the power tailgate was only available on the tourer/estate cars. The boot button does not operate the power lift. Holding down the button on the key fob or in the driver’s footwell for about a second activates it, along with warning beeps and three hazard flashes.

If it’s not holding then you probably need new boot struts. On my tourer they are Stabilus Lift-O-Mat 74820-TL4-G311-M1.

FYI the 8th gen Accord in the USA was sold as the 2nd gen Acura TSX. Accords sold there are USDM only.

Thanks for that. More info than I got in a week of Googling! I'll check the struts this weekend.

You’re welcome. Did a bit of digging and it seems that not all models of the tourer come with the power tailgate. Looks like it only came on the EX and Type-S trim, but I could be wrong.

I’m also pretty sure that tourers without the power tailgate have different boot struts, so the model number I previously mentioned would not be applicable.

You can use parts-honda.uk to search by your VIN, which will give you diagrams for all the parts as well as OEM numbers. It’s a great resource.

You’re welcome. Did a bit of digging and it seems that not all models of the tourer come with the power tailgate. Looks like it only came on the EX and Type-S trim, but I could be wrong.

I’m also pretty sure that tourers without the power tailgate have different boot struts, so the model number I previously mentioned would not be applicable.

You can use parts-honda.uk to search by your VIN, which will give you diagrams for all the parts as well as OEM numbers. It’s a great resource.
There doesn't seem to be any struts at all to hold the boot up when it's open. Is that normal?

Look at the key? is there a boot button on there?
open the tailgate and see if there is a close button.
There is a boot button on the key, but it only seems to release the boot catch. I don't think my model is supposed to have an auto lifting tailgate, but it seems to be lacking anything to hold the boot up at all when opening it manually. There are no struts or springs on it.