What's new

Boot Lid

james2512

Members
Reaction score
Car
C220 AMG Sport Plus
Guys,

I did ask the question about how far the boot lid should open when popped.......... ive been used to a VW so expected the lid to go all the way and its for some reason annoying me that the Accord Saloon does't.

This weekend i'm off out to get a couple of gas struts and mouting kit to aid in pushing the boot lid all the way up. Anyone else done this?

Also any advise on the best gas struts to use in the way of strength?

Cheers.

Guys,

I did ask the question about how far the boot lid should open when popped.......... ive been used to a VW so expected the lid to go all the way and its for some reason annoying me that the Accord Saloon does't.

This weekend i'm off out to get a couple of gas struts and mouting kit to aid in pushing the boot lid all the way up. Anyone else done this?

Also any advise on the best gas struts to use in the way of strength?

Cheers.

Guys,

I got this working now by the use of an expansion spring. The boot lid now smoothly opens up all the way and make putting stuff in much much easier.

How do we upload video's? I can post one of the operation and if anyone is interested i will do a write up with pictures.

Upload it to you tube and post the url, the forum does the rest :D

Ooooh this should be interesting James!!

My next mod perhaps?? :ph34r:

Guys,

Video uploded on the tube!

My link

I will get some pics of the mod tomorrow as i need to measure the spring for you all as my father in law got the spring from his work place.

James... this is one MOD i NEED in my life!

please post up pics so us scavangers can copy :D

Guys,

Video uploded on the tube!

My link

I will get some pics of the mod tomorrow as i need to measure the spring for you all as my father in law got the spring from his work place.

WOW

That is ace (even if the speed of the opening is a bit lively!).

Yes please do pop up the pics and provide a step-by-step account if you can of how you did this. I am liking that a lot sir!!

WOW

That is ace (even if the speed of the opening is a bit lively!).

Yes please do pop up the pics and provide a step-by-step account if you can of how you did this. I am liking that a lot sir!!

Ive uploaded another vid as from the side you can see the movement is more gentle.

My link

Very nice! I must say its the first thing i'd miss if I ever sold the tourer!

Ive uploaded another vid as from the side you can see the movement is more gentle.

My link

Very nice James,

Now if you can work on getting it to close automatically that would be something else!

I think soon we'll be able to spot a TA member by the way the boot opens!

James I think that mod is great mate and I think you deserve a rep point for that.
What is it like to close now the boot?
Is there much resistance?
Is there any noise from the spring?
I so want this for the 7th gen. I think you've got the speed spot on. I've seen 5 series msport boot lids open very faster.
Get some pics up of the actuL spring and how you have mounted it?

James I think that mod is great mate and I think you deserve a rep point for that.
What is it like to close now the boot?
Is there much resistance?
Is there any noise from the spring?
I so want this for the 7th gen. I think you've got the speed spot on. I've seen 5 series msport boot lids open very faster.
Get some pics up of the actuL spring and how you have mounted it?

Shabz, diy post done. The boot has a little resistance when closing but nothing uncomfortable or straining on the boot lid or hinges. If you push the lid down to near close and let go it will open back up for you.

It took some positioning to get the speed right and NO noise from the spring. Where i have placed it, there is nothing in the way to come in contact and the carpet hides all!

Has anyone else had a go at doing this mod???? I have managed to get another spring so first one to pipe up can have...... providing you do the mod! :D

Has anyone else had a go at doing this mod???? I have managed to get another spring so first one to pipe up can have...... providing you do the mod! :D

Save for me!!

I'll have it mate - and will even pay you to fit!

Will send you personal message later today - too busy re-******-decorating at moment! :blush:

It's a great mod. And very useful too!
I've done it to my 7 th gen using a gas strut. It doesn't open all the way fully, but it's enough for me.

Save for me!!

I'll have it mate - and will even pay you to fit!

Will send you personal message later today - too busy re-******-decorating at moment! :blush:

All yours matey......drop me a PM and ill post it out to you this week. Fitting is fairly easy but happy to guide you through! I drilled a small hole in the lower connection point as i got worried the cable ties wouldn't hold long term. Mine still works sweet but see how it gets on in the winter.

It's a great mod. And very useful too!
I've done it to my 7 th gen using a gas strut. It doesn't open all the way fully, but it's enough for me.

Nice mod! I looked at a gas strut but it's hard to get the right measurements.