What's new

Buying a used Honda Accord

jamie3141

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I'm looking to buy a used Honda Accord preferably 2.0L petrol. Can anybody confirm what the automatic transmissions are like in these cars? All of the vehicles in my price range are anything from 80-100k miles. I have never driven an automatic before, and am a new driver. I really like the K series engine and I'd like to pair it with a manual transmission, but it appears that they just aren't (or weren't) as popular.

Do these use the H5 automatic transmissions? Are they CVT transmissions? How can I diagnose whether an automatic transmission is any good? Is it worth waiting and holding out for a manual transmission for reasons of reliability?

Thank you all

Jamie

Hello everyone

I'm looking to buy a used Honda Accord preferably 2.0L petrol. Can anybody confirm what the automatic transmissions are like in these cars? All of the vehicles in my price range are anything from 80-100k miles. I have never driven an automatic before, and am a new driver. I really like the K series engine and I'd like to pair it with a manual transmission, but it appears that they just aren't (or weren't) as popular.

Do these use the H5 automatic transmissions? Are they CVT transmissions? How can I diagnose whether an automatic transmission is any good? Is it worth waiting and holding out for a manual transmission for reasons of reliability?

Thank you all

Jamie
hi there
Mine is a 2004 2.0 tourer with the tiptronic auto box.I can honestly say its a dream to drive,very smooth,always seems to know best time to shift and the kickdown is nice too.I own a much newer mondeo tdci with a manual box for my daily commute/school run etc,my tourer i used for long distance days out holidays etc which is what it was made for.I would absolutely go for the auto just look for plenty of service history then you know oil changes havn't been neglected and take for a long test drive check its responsive and listen for any clunks/noises.
Theres a huge amount of info already here if you dig around.Like you im late to the party (owned my tourer just 2 years now) so i know how these cars are later in life.If theres anything else you want know just ask and good luck im sure theres plenty decent ones out there.

too add mines covered 95k...i see plenty out there sub 100k milage

Newbie owner here - just bought a 2006 2.0L Petrol with manual gearbox.

The 2.0L has the "economy" version of the K engine (K20a6) so you don't get the full vtech experience but it is still nice and responsive.

Personally I'd wait for a manual to come up as I find the gear changing to be key in enjoying the car (I just do short pleasure trips).

Newbie owner here - just bought a 2006 2.0L Petrol with manual gearbox.

The 2.0L has the "economy" version of the K engine (K20a6) so you don't get the full vtech experience but it is still nice and responsive.

Personally I'd wait for a manual to come up as I find the gear changing to be key in enjoying the car (I just do short pleasure trips).

Are you sure that's correct?

The 2006 CL7 and CL9 model codes both have 4-stroke DOHC i-VTEC engines. The K20Z2 and the K24A3 are the engine codes of the 2.0L and 2.4L engines respectively. What do you mean by "full vtech experience"?

The engine in the mk7 2.0 is the k20a6 and it is vtec...transmission irrelivant.ivtec has VTC in addition hence ivtec.Far from a mindblowing experience though as the tourer is a heavy lump..especially when fully fuelled with 5 people and luggage in the back.shifting gear manually shows the engine off more..has a great sound.That said youd want the k24 for a better vtec response (and power) but i wanted honda reliablity and lower running costs so went for the k20

The engine in the mk7 2.0 is the k20a6 and it is vtec...transmission irrelivant.ivtec has VTC in addition hence ivtec.Far from a mindblowing experience though as the tourer is a heavy lump..especially when fully fuelled with 5 people and luggage in the back.shifting gear manually shows the engine off more..has a great sound.That said youd want the k24 for a better vtec response (and power) but i wanted honda reliablity and lower running costs so went for the k20

Ahhh, I see the problem. The K20A6 is only used in the 2003-2005. From 2006-2008 this was then replaced by the K20Z2 (according to the Accord Shop Manual).

However, both engines are listed as using i-VTEC (see below)

1593715458252.png

1593715514849.png

Ahhh, I see the problem. The K20A6 is only used in the 2003-2005. From 2006-2008 this was then replaced by the K20Z2 (according to the Accord Shop Manual).

However, both engines are listed as using i-VTEC (see below)

View attachment 245

View attachment 246
yes sir it seems the case that engine is different in the facelift models 06> although without detailed research im not sure what changed? all are ivtec either way nothing different there and any changes will likely be minimal..cam profile manifold tweeks

Last edited: