What's new

Cam chain on 2003 2.4 type s

Honda5t3v3

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S 2.4
Hello all!

As my first child is arriving next week I'm finally having to swap my integra type r for a "sensible" car. I have found a nice looking 2003 accord type s (75000 mls) but have been told by the dealer that the cel was on due to a wearing problem with the cam chain and that this has now been replaced and the car is running perfect.

First question does this sound suss? Or is this a known issue?

He is offering warranty with it so I would expect any major issues to turn their head pretty quick.

Second question. Going from an integra type r, am I going to be disappointed with the accord? I have come to terms that it is more of a family car but wanted to know what other owners opinions were and what cars they have come from before the accord.

Cheers in advance

i have not seen it so much with the accord but ***uming the engine is the same, there have been a few crv's with streched chains just lately. i would not say it is suspect but equaly it is not common. that engine should run forever with a new chain at 75k lol.

Going from an integra type r, am I going to be disappointed with the accord? I have come to terms that it is more of a family car but wanted to know what other owners opinions were and what cars they have come from before the accord.

I think initially you will be disappointed in the lack of drive compared to a teg. I'm not sure if you already know this but the K24 switches to the high cam at 6000prm only to hit the limiter at 7200rpm so you'll end up hitting the limiter a good few times until you get used to the very short vtec window. There is a experimental remap out that lowers the crossover to about 4500 but there are no definitive results yet other than the owners commenting on the overall greater drive. I'd seriously recommend an aem short ram intake to really let the vtec sing as its quite muted standard.

Once you drive these a bit spiritedly you'll find it handles not half bad considering its weight. That still wasnt good enough for me though so i went a bit ott on the suspension setup on mine. I stepped up the accord ladder a few years ago when my first daughter was born so i've went from a 94 accord, to a 99, and now to my Type S i bought 2 years ago. But I held onto my EG6 VTi for a long time as i didnt want to sell it when my first daughter was born. So i held onto that up until i bought my Type S as a fast vtec 4door family car to finally replace my b-series vtec fix.

Cheers for the replies, as my wife says,nive got to grow up at some point, ha! I've not posted enough on here yet to get to see the classifieds, but do the aem's come up often? Can't seem to find em any cheaper than £180, how much do they tend to go for second hand?

cant recall ever seeing one sell 2nd hand, not many goin about in accord fitment.

I ha d a Civic VTi (B18) before my Type S tourer and have an MR2 too, even though on paper the Accord is faster it doesn't feel it, I think down to the refinement, quietness and high vtec as mentioned. Still no slouch though and although a bit slow off the line it's good at going if you drop a gear when you're already going. I have a the estate which is a tad slower too, and for a big car it handles pretty well, although disappointing after being in the MR2 haha, good luck with the purchase...

I came from a B18 eg and before that a b16 Vti. My bro also has a Teg, you will deffo miss the vtec kick lol, but this car is not about the B series brutal vtec kick, its more about refinement. If you have been in a EP3, you will know about the more gentle crossover compared to the raw B-series. If you have been in a FN2, you will defo know about it lol! The Type-S isnt bad, its got good mid range torque and delivers power swiftly. Dont expect it to shoot off when you floor it, as i have fallen for this myself a few times, half throttle then flooring it and it just doesnt cut it. But considering the size and weight of this car, it does drive well, is very comfy and if you hit vtec then it does shift along nicely. The handling is surprisingly good considering its weight, however you do get some body roll as it sits quite high. Im deffo thinking about coilovers and that should sort out the handling without compromising too much on comfort. I saw someone one here fit a load of strut braces but they were shipped over from Malaysia? This is a cool car, has a lot of electronics compared to the older Hondas and way better build quality! Test drive and I think you will like it. Looks awesome too ;) Good Luck!