Cannot get into gears 5th, 6th and reverse

SummonKnight

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 I-CTDI
Hi guys,

200k miles Facelift accord 2.2 i-ctdi here with new problems to solve

So this week my car did something really strange just as I arrived at work after my 35 mile commute on the motorway...
I went to do my normal parking moves and I could not get my gearbox into any gear after reverse gear. 5th and 6th were not engaging as well.
I mean literally the stick did not enter the correct spot.

I eventually managed to get it into gear, after trying to pump the clutch, forcing the car to move a little more in 1st gear and so, and let it stay there during work.
Everything worked properly at night, until I got home and was not able to get reverse again..

Also left it at my local mechanic for 2 days and it didn't happen to him just driving around town.

So far it seems to happen only after motorway travels. Worth mentioning that my clutch is starting to slip just a little bit, and I had the slave replaced around 10k miles ago.

Clutch? Gearbox? Any kind of link?

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Yes, the clutch may be the cause but other thoughts

Have you had the car lowered, professionally or otherwise ?
Have you checked for excess play in the engine mounts ?

Since fifth and reverse are on one side of the gear lever movement have you clipped a kerb or jacked up the front of the car recently ?

Thanks for your input guys

So first yes, I had all the fluids changed when I bought the car, about 35k miles ago

Regarding the lowering question, that did also happen, it's lowered with eibach springs and bilstein shocks from the kit that is available. The car was aligned and has been working properly on this regard.

I changed one of the engine mounts also when I bought the car, but I will definitely check everything again on that regard.

Knock on wood, but I intend to stay of kerbs throughout the ownership of the car :)