What's new

Car Starts then Shuts off

Honest

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda accord
Hi Guys,

Its been a while but I am now back in a 6th Gen 2.0L accord.

I have a problem today, whereby my car starts but immediately shuts off and the revs drop and immobilizer light flashes. I've tried giving it a rev and it revs up but then drops back down and car turns off.

Don't want to try too many times as I don't want to drain the battery and the car is located in work car park. Any ideas what the problem could be? seems like a fueling issue to me.

Thanks all

Ignition switch, was a common enough issue they even recalled them for it

Thanks Mr Honda. Good to see this forum is still alive.

It turns out it is the ignition switch, car runs while you keep the pulled back slightly to the left, but as soon as you let you go it shuts off.

Would you buy the part from Honda and do you know if there any DIYs for this on this forum?

You could disassemble the switch and possibly solder extra contact points that have worn out but I'd buy new for safety sake, I believe it could switch off while driving which isn't good and that's why they were recalled.

Yeah that did happen to me yesterday. I took off the Steering column cover yesterday and the only think I find slightly daunting is removing the sheared bolt.

if it's anything like the EM1 that I had a similar issue with, you can unscrew the switch from the back of the ignition barrel. No need to tough sheer bolts.

I rang Honda today to buy the part but they told me that there are two types of ignition switches, one is a batman style and the other is mushroom style. They think I have the latter which is more expensive and harder to change.

I will keep all posted. Thanks Mr Honda

Can you not post pictures on this forum? Having trouble disconnecting a connector. Also my wire looming has an additional cable attached

You need to use a host site for pictures, flickr photobucket etc.