What's new

Central locking/alarm/glowplug - electrical gremlin

Accordial

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 2.2 D Tourer
Hello 2005 2.2 D tourer

A year ago, after a month of lockdown I started the car with a weak battery. The engine management light came on, and when I stopped it the blipper on the key wouldn't work. I took all the fuses out and replaced them (one by one!) and the following day called the AA. The blipper by then was operating the central locking but not the tailgate. The AA diagnosed a glowplug problem from the fault code and reset the light. The garage said there was nothing wrong with the glowplugs. The day after the tailgate came back to life, and it's been perfect ever since.

Until this morning. I think it rained a lot last night. This morning blipper on the key wouldn't open the car. After a while with copious quantities of WD40 I made the key work in the physical lock... And the engine management light came on. I now have the following problems:

1. Engine management light - the fault code again is glow plug related (though this time it's a control unit, not the plugs). We cleared the code, but it has reappeared.
2. The central locking, when operated by the remote key, is intermittent.
3. The immobiliser is not always working. Put the key in and turn it and the green light continues to flash and the car doesn't start. Bring it back from ignition a couple of times and it stops flashing and the car starts.
4. The tailgate doesn't open with the remote. It did once earlier, so I think this is intermittent like the central locking.
5. The last time I got in the car the 'tail gate' warning light was flashing very quickly, and some sort of relay in the glove box was clicking at the same high frequency. Disappeared when I put the key in the ignition.

So there's obviously something that's connecting all these things. It's not a usual tailgate problem. I don't believe it has anything to do with the glowplug system (the car was warm when the code reappeared, it was set off by the immobiliser not allowing the car to start I think).

Very grateful for any thoughts! Thank you.

I went to the car a few minutes ago, and this is what the dashboard disco lights were doing, all on their own, no key in. I have disconnected the battery...

It's Christmas !

The rain may be an issue, is the engine bay dry (around the fusebox on the left).

It may also be a fault in the ignition barrel , or at least the contacts at the back of it
Have you ever had to replace the steering lock , or remove the wheel before ?