What's new

Changing Instrument Cluster Backlights

Aggins

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord CL9
Hi, has anyone tried to change the colour of the backlights in their instrument cluster for a Honda Accord CL7 or CL9?

Have been wanting to change mine, which are currently white backlights, to red backlights similar to the Euro R cluster as I really like how the red looks in it.

Just wanting to find out if the backlights are soldered onto the instrument cluster, or if the backlights are just bulbs that are easily interchangeable. Would greatly appreciate any insight!

Cheers

Access is simple but they are part of display and cannot be changed.I had it all dismantled last year to replace faulty ignition switch and had the same idea.As i remember warning info bulbs can be changed as needed but not backlights.

Last edited:
Right I see, thanks for sharing.

I had hoped they were easily interchangeable, similar to the older model Accord/Civic as I saw some guides for them and they were just a couple bulbs at the back.

Its a shame really because the interior does feel a little dull at night,especially compared to more modern cars.Could be relitavely straight forward to fit some sort of LED backlighting perhaps just tap into dash lighting curcuit.Power consumption is low with these and dont throw up any errors (on my car anyway),i have replaced the majority of my interior/exterior bulbs with led.Either way it cant be too difficult and no need to worry about messy wiring etc as it would be hidden behind centre console binacle