What's new

CL7 Snapped Driveshaft.

Reg93

Reaction score
Car
CL7 2.0 Exec
Hi All,

I have a snapped drive shaft (Right Hand) on my Accord, how hard are they to change?

I have had a look and I can see there is a half shaft across the back of the engine which then goes into the driveshaft, is it just a case of pulling it off the half shaft or are there clips/bolts?
I presume for the hub side I need disconnect the ball joints etc.

The car is a CL7 2.0 Auto Exec if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

It is sorta involved job, but not too hard to do...
only thing I realised is, you gotta wedge something between where the shaft connects to the engine side and force it off..

but when you say snapped, what snapped in the drive shaft?

It is sorta involved job, but not too hard to do...
only thing I realised is, you gotta wedge something between where the shaft connects to the engine side and force it off..

but when you say snapped, what snapped in the drive shaft?

The actual metal shaft snapped between the CV joints, looks like it had a weak spot under the rubber piece.
I have a multitude of pry bars, so I presume I can just pop it between the mount and the joint and slide it off the half shaft.

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

yup that'll be it...
but ouch, not sure how long will mine hold, as mine's done around 190k miles already

yikes thats nasty! Im ***uming you've just been unlucky and not a common problem? Mines 04 with 96k miles,is yours a high miler?Good luck with the fix,id be interested to see how you get on.

let us know how it goes, and do post a link to which driveshaft you end up going for
yup that'll be it...
but ouch, not sure how long will mine hold, as mine's done around 190k miles already

This is on 130k, just unlucky I think.
I will keep you posted, going to start taking it apart ASAP as I will probably do the ball joints, arms & drop links whilst I'm there.

yikes thats nasty! Im ***uming you've just been unlucky and not a common problem? Mines 04 with 96k miles,is yours a high miler?Good luck with the fix,id be interested to see how you get on.

This is an 04' approaching 130k.
It recently had the gearbox serviced at Honda, they didn't say anything and I am sure he checked them as part of the free check.
I would presume there was an underlying issue with the shaft or it was holding water under the rubber part causing it to rust through.

Thats possible i suppose although it is a high grade steel componant.The break seems clean and the metal looks intact at the engine side but rust looks present wheel end.Once stripped you should be able to tell either way...maybe just fatigue combined with age? Any feedback would be appreciated as i have the same motor,cheers.

Thats possible i suppose although it is a high grade steel componant.The break seems clean and the metal looks intact at the engine side but rust looks present wheel end.Once stripped you should be able to tell either way...maybe just fatigue combined with age? Any feedback would be appreciated as i have the same motor,cheers.
same here, lets us know yer journey

I actually ordered a half shaft and outer shaft from the US as my 2.0 litre CM1 has the same parts as the US-Market Acura TSX from the same year (2004). I did so because I have a strange sensation when driving at low speeds which I can only describe as what feels like a lump in the right front tyre. In the recent past I have had brake pads/rotors replaced, new Michelin tyres and still get this strange lumpy feeling at low speeds. There is a small amount of play in the driveshaft that I noticed when it was up a the lift for an oil change. I replaced the wheel bearing on the right side recently as well which was completely shot. I think that the driveshaft may have some wobble in it or is slightly off-centre which incidentally may be the cause of the shot wheel bearing. I have not got round to changing out the driveshafts however. Anyone had similar problems? Are a replacement driveshaft and half shaft the solution? I would love to have your thoughts and hear about this replacement.

One thing I've been curious about is, are the driveshafts for CL models compatible with each other?
I guess a question for you pros, like is a driveshaft from 2.2cdti fit a CL7 or CL9 or vice versa?
also do driveshafts from auto fit for manual transmission cars for same model?

I presume I can just pop it between the mount and the joint and slide it off the half shaft.

Yup, and you'll need a 36mm socket to get the hub nut off, and a big hammer to separate the lower ball joint. Apart from that just normal socket set stuff.

UPDATE:

I have changed the shaft and after 100 miles all seems ok!
I bought the shaft from J&R Shafts for £46.99 with a two year warranty, in terms of quality it feels decent enough but only time will tell.

It took me around 30 minutes to complete once the car was up on stands.

The hardest part of the job was separating the shaft at the back of engine (I was a little lazy and left the under-tray on which hindered access a little) I used an 1/2" extension bar and a weighty hammer to tap it past the snap ring.

On the wheel side it was a simple case of undo the 36mm hub nut, bottom shock absorber bolt and the 10mm bolts holding the ABS wiring/Brake hose, I would also advise you undo the caliper and hang it up out the way for piece of mind.

I opted to crack the top ball joint rather than the bottom, it gave plenty of room to push the shock towards the front of the car enough to get the shaft in without a struggle.

I have now ordered new top/bottom arms, tie rods, droplinks and ball joints for peace of mind as they all look original and the boots are looking a little worn.

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 16
Glad you got her fixed up.....id feel confident attempting this job if i ever need to after reading your post.As is often the case with something like this you stumble across other components you dont like the look of and feel the need to replace lol
I would do same tho and as previous post mentioned it will feel and drive much better!

quick question, I was thinking about changing mine just in case, as I've sorta messed up while just casually trying to open the boots up to check/try to regrease the joints... and then cant really get the boots to really seal up properly, like the grease is always seeping out...
anways... attaching the pics, was yours similar to mine?
mine doesnt directly go into the engine, it goes into some sorta intermediate thing..

pics attached

Attachments

• pic1.JPG
    pic1.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 18
  • pic2.JPG
    pic2.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 19
  • pic3.JPG
    pic3.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 19
so I went ahead and ordered driveshaft same as above... however after fitting it, when I drive the car now, there's ever so slight vibration and pushing in 2nd gear... and the strangest thing happened a few days ago.. I was about to leave the round about and liked revved it and let the clutch go, but saw the rpms shoot up to 6k but the didn't move for a few seconds(no wheelspin either) and then soon after there was this burning smell...
got me really worried about the clutch, so came home and flushed the clutch fluid(put dot4 in) and the clutch is very smooth now with smooth gear changes...
however, the unfortunate thing is, whenever I push the car I can feel that slight burning smell coming...

have tested the clutch by putting it into first gear, 2nd and 3rd, and then putting some load on the engine by pushing the accelerator.. and it doesn't slip

really worried, as she's served me so well for last 7-8yrs and don't wanna get rid of it as there aren't any good options out there that I can think of.. really like this car..
coz clutch change cost is a lot, and is something that cant attempt to do on my own, have neither got tools or big enough garage.:oops: