What's new

Clutch Help

Thread resurrection and I'm after some clutch help again...
Replacement master cylinder had been weeping a bit lately, today the pedal went to the floor. I have just replaced the master cylinder again, ***uming that it was the culprit - HOWEVER now that I look down at the slave, I see that the clutch arm that the slave normally pushes against is actually sat fully forward (ie as if the clutch pedal had been pressed)
Can someone tell me what this is a sign of? - Dead clutch, rather than a master/s;ave problem?
I can manually push the slave piston/rod back inwards, together with the clutch arm, relatively easily

Also - maybe a stupid question but when I switched the master cylinders over, I fitted the reservoir tube to the feed on the m/c but didn't check - they aren't supplied with any blanking plug in them are they???

I've never seen a new master cylinder without blanking plugs but they've generally got a lip or tab to pry them out with, and they've also been eye catchingly red, green or yellow

Hi Mike - there was a blanking plug on the inlet where the clutch hard line runs to (it was holding the o-ring in place) but the part that the hose from the reservoir connects to in this case was made of plastic, fixed on with a single screw. I didn't think to unscrew/remove it to see if it had a blanking plug underneath... hard to access it now it is all back together but not getting any fluid through into the new master cylinder...

more of a concern though is that it is possible to move the clutch actuation arm (down by the slave cylinder) by hand - this can't be right can it?

sorry, missed that post! no, the clutch fork should indeed be under tension from the pressure plate which is a little bit alarming

Yep - that's what I thought.. I think my 2007 diesel tourer with 165k on the clock is no more - not economic to have the clutch replaced, versus the value of the car - unless anyone near to me in Oxfordshire knows better?

The good news is... I simply hadn't bled the system properly after fitting m/c. Working on my own I couldn't see what the effect of pedal pushing on the slave was. Paranoia crept in and told me I had bigger issues. Rebled with ezeebleed and have since done a 200 mile round trip this afternoon. Have scraped knuckles and forearms aplenty