What's new

clutch knocking

S777DAT

Members
Reaction score
Car
ACCORD ICTDi
hey guys and gals

would like your advice again, i have currently encountered a problem with my car, it a 2004, ictdi. the problem is that i have started getting a knocking sound when i press the clutch, when i depress it continues knocking, and i have to turm engine off and restart for the knocking to disappear. Ive been told the its possibly the "cluth bearing", but its not a 100% diagnosis.

anyone know or have any ideas?
ive tried searching here but no luck.

thanks in advance

That's an odd one - but if it was the clutch release bearing then I wouldn't expect turning the engine off then on to change the problem. Worst case, it's the dual mass flywheel (DMF) suffering excessive play - might be a bit pricy, so I hope not. I've never had this problem, so someone else will have to confirm this suggestion.

it is a strange one, as prior to turning the engine off it was knocking alot whilst idling and then when i pressed the clutch the vibration could be felt through the pedal. originaly it was just when the pedal was being pressed causing it to knock slightly. this problem has only developed over the last 24hrs.

If it was the clutch relese bearing normaly if you press the clutch in the noise will stop.
As it doesn't I would have a guess at the DMF has play.
Is your clutch slipping at all.

If it was the clutch relese bearing normaly if you press the clutch in the noise will stop.
As it doesn't I would have a guess at the DMF has play.
Is your clutch slipping at all.

the clutch doesent seem to be slipping and the knocking has now stopped, I rang HH today and was told that according to symptom its either the clutch plate or the bearing.

i ordered up the parts today so will find out tomorrow once its been put on the ramp and clutch removed to see whts going on.

I had exactly these symptoms on a Celica I once owned. It would come and go but over a few weeks it got progressively worse until one day I started the car and the engine vibrated very badly, sufficient to make it completely undriveable. Turned out to be a badly worn clutch friction plate which had started to break up. The funny thing was that the clutch never showed signs of slipping.

Alan

thats intresting to hear, gives me some reassurance that i should have the problem sorted today, the new clutch arrived an hour ago, so will be at the garage in afternoon, wonder if this is the last of the issues ive been having with the motor.

thank you for all advice guys, much appreciated as always.