What's new

Coilover Sleeves

Dangerstevie

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord SE Executive
I know these coilover sleeves are frowned upon by a lot of folks, but i have seen them used with some fantastic results. Yes they will never ride like a decent coilover setup but they don't cost the same as a decent coilover setup. I don’t want to go into how safe they are or the quality of them etc. etc. etc.
What i would like to discuss is fitting them....these kits are cheap as hell on eBay and no doubt desirable due to their cost. I am getting a set delivered for £46, now to me it’s worth a go simply because they are so cheap, if they don't work out on my accord i can always use them on another project I’m working on.
As i understand it you remove the original spring, slide on the new threaded platform, secure it in place with the grub screws supplied and then fit new springs with top hats and original top mounts.
I have seen these fitted to an MX5 before and they had completely removed the original spring platform and TIG welded the new threaded platform to the original shock body.
From what I have read on other Honda forums the original spring platform on the civic is retained when using these kits and I can’t quite get my head around this because if you do not completely remove the original spring platform how can you get any lower than standard (***uming the new springs are the same length)?
Can anyone explain this to me please…?

No worries, I have just found a decent PDF of the fitting instructions of the Skunk2 coilover sleeves from Andys Autosport and the stock perches remain, the coilover kit just uses shorter springs.

for anyone that is interested the link can be found here.

http://www.andysautosport.com/additional_info/517-05-0710.pdf