What's new

continous high pitched ticking sound with ignition on: help with the diagnosis please

drmanishg

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord EX
My 56 plate 2.0 petrol accord has suddenly started producing a high pitched continous ticking sound from under the right side of the engine bay, possibly from somewhere under the right front wing. It comes on as soon I flick the key on to ignition even before the engine fires up. No warning lights. Airconditioning, power steering working fine. It is loud enough to be heard even while driving with all the windows up. Not related to engine rpm, in fact comes on even before firing the engine up. Nothing very obvious on inspection, but could also hear a continous humming sound from somewhere under the right side of engine bay in the background with the engine switched off!

Will try and make an appointment with Honda Huddersfield tomorrow. Any suggestions as to what could be the cause?

Thank you very much.
Manish.

Do you have aircon or climate control switched on all the time?

http://www1.snapfish.co.uk/snapfishuk/slideshow/AlbumID=3861298012/PictureID=201228405012/a=99083919_99083919/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfishuk/

I did a bit more research into it. Not related to the headlight levelling mechanism as it worked fine and running the headlight level knob didn't reproduce the sound. However, pressed firmly on this big white connector immediately above the headlamp and the sound disappeared. Reappeared again on letting it go. Happy that found the cause, but don't know what this connection supplies. Headlights are working fine. Attached a picture of this connector. Tried disconnecting it but couldn't do and didn't want to break things.

Could you guys please have a look at the picture and tell me what this connection is for. or is it a relay or something?

Thank you.
manish.

Thanks atta boy for your reply.

No I don't leave the aircon on all the time. Don't use automatic climate control as the compressor keeps coming on and saps more power and fuel. Use manual climate control, although bit of a pain really as it is all touch screen.

The white connector which I am referring to is right in the centre of the picture and marked with a black arrow.

Thanks.
Manish.