What's new

Couple of niggles and one potential headache?

BigVim

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 1.8 vtec sport
Hi folks,
It's been 2 weeks since i bought my 02 plate 1.8i sport and everything is generally ok except a couple of things.

1: The air blower controls only work on settings 3 or 4. 1 and 2 do nothing and also the temp control doesnt go fully back to the left ( cold ) setting. It seems like its meeting some resistance as it tends to spring back a bit.

2: Just the other day a strange noise started coming from under the bonnet. When i start the engine it isnt there but if i put it in gear or turn the steering i get a weird buzzing noise that rises in pitch as i pull away.

Im a real dummy when it comes to mechanical stuff so any help would really be appreciated. Also if anyone knows if i can post audio files ill try and do that because i realize the description is pretty crap lol.

Cheers gang.

I can't answer all of the faults on the original post however the one where the temp control doesn't go all the way to the left is a problem I have too. It happened when I put my own stereo in the car when I first bought my sport. If you have an aftermarket stereo, this may need to come out (there's a guide on here for that) and you'll need to have a play around with the cable that is attached to the temp knob.

Number 2 could be a loose power steering belt? Is the noise a screeching type?

Thanks for the replies guys. Nathan its still the original stereo and thanks Jon. TypeR no it seems it might be the power steering motor but thanks for the reply.

might be a bit late to be of any help, but re: the screechy sound that might be related to power steering, did you check the fluid level? they do sing a bit when they get low. as I found, when I realised I have a leak in my rack

if you do have such a leak.. I got some stuff like radweld but for the rack (can't remember what is called, little white bottle with blue label I seem to recall) - real gloopy stuff, takes ages to pour in (and you might need to empty out some of the old first)

turn the engine over a few times to pump it through, keep topping up until at level again, keep an eye on level over the next few weeks

I did this to mine about 3 weeks ago and the level hasn't gone down again since. now just waiting till all the drips underneath dry up (so I know it's not leaking any more) then I'm gonna replace the completely knackered gaiters. annoying because have to take off (might as well replace) track rod ends and get tracking done again.. but the stuff works, anyway. if only for a year or so lol