What's new

Couple of questions

ng7

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th gen SE Exec Auto
Hi everyone, go easy I'm new here :D

I am due to pick up my Accord next week however I was wondering if anyone could help out a little before hand.

While the car does have two keys it has only one remote locking key fob, if I were to buy one from eBay can I program it myself? I've seen instructions on how to but its not clear if its US models only or if its maybe 7th gen and above.
Also there is, unfortunately, no user handbook with the car. Is there one available in PDF format somewhere? I've been unable to find one so far

Thanks

I'm not sure about the key phob but I'm sure someone hear can help you with a 6th gen manual

I guess I have read a while ago on how to program new remotes on the 6th gen. It was a combination of turning the ignition key a few times and using the remote buttons, but don't recall exactly how it was.

I guess you will find it out easily with a google search ;)

Google will tell you how to program the remote function on a key. in fact i am sure it is the same process as the 7th gen, There is a guide in the DIY area.

You cant program the immobiliser chip unfortunately. This is a dealer job or a auto locksmith. But for £25 i would just get Honda to do it.

welcome to TA! You WON'T need to goto honda ;)

To program a new key fob into a 6th gen Accord that works on RF follow these instructions below-

This procedure clears the transmitter codes and creates new ones, so you must program all remotes at the same time, even if one or more is already working.

Enter the car, and close all doors.

Each of the following steps must be completed within five seconds of completing the previous step. If you take longer or make a mistake, start the entire procedure over again.

Insert the key into the ignition, and hold one remote in your left hand. Whenever the instructions say to press the LOCK button, you should press the lock button on the remote for about a second and then release it.

Perform each of the following three steps in order, then repeat all three steps two more times, for a total of three times each:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, marked II.
2. Press the LOCK button.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position, marked I.

Do this three times!

Next, turn the ignition switch to the ON position (II) for a fourth time.

Press the LOCK button again. The door locks should now make a cycling sound, indicating that the system has entered Programming Mode.

Press the LOCK button one more time to program this remote. If you have other remotes to program, press the LOCK button on each one in turn. The door locks should make the cycling sound after you press LOCK on each remote. You may program up to three remotes, and they must all be programmed within ten seconds of each other.

Turn the ignition off and remove the key. The remotes are now programmed and may be tested.

If you've got a trunk/hatch release, hold the button for this function for a few seconds to open boot :D .

sounds more coplicated then it is :p but if you print these instrutions off then have then will you.

Good luck with the New car my friend B)

Thanks for the help everyone, now have the car but yet to get the new key fob, turns out it actually only had one key + fob so will likely get both key + fob at some point. Always handy to have a spare.

Loving the car so far its a 2002 SE Exec Auto :D

One more question if you don't mind helping out a new owner. The car has no history with it and reading here it seems the auto box may not be as reliable as I had hoped so not knowing if its ever had a change of the Automatic transmission fluid (It would be almost due for change no. 3 if Honda's 30k changes were stuck to) I'm thinking this is something that I should have done. Is it advisable to simply drain out fluid and replace for the 2.5l change or should it be completely drained flushed to remove all the fluid from torque convertor also? the 6.1l I believe I saw mentioned. and is it imperative to use Hondas own fluid or is any Dexron II/III ATF ok?

thanks again everyone

Sorry forgot to mention in last post are those figures correct? 2.5 or 6.1l? and is there a filter to change or clean out when fluid is changed?

thanks again all

Do not flush the box. Out with old, and then in with the new mate. Easy peasy B)

I guess it's about 2.5 litres. Oh, be sure to use Honda fluid in the gearbox ;)

EDIT: Just noticed your is an auto, so don't know how much fluid will it take. Still, make sure to use Honda fluid :rolleyes:

I've had both a new key made for my brother Civic which cost me about £40 cut and coded. I also bought a second hand fob from ebay and had that reprogrammed using instructions off the net which also worked fine.

Sorry to keep asking questions on the same thing :blush: but I've just received the Honda ATF-Z1 for this today and want to make sure its done right.

I won't be changing the fluid myself but it will be done by someone at a garage I trust fully, but I've said I'll supply him with the stuff needed as he's doing it as a favour to me so other than the fluid do I need to get anything else? I'm thinking maybe a filter, new drain plug or washer maybe? and should the fluid be drained when cool or at running temp?

Thanks again :D

It would not be a bad idea to use a new washer.
For a manual transmission, it is recommended to drain it with a hot transmission. I guess the same applies to an automatic.

TIN-MAN said:
welcome to TA! You WON'T need to goto honda
wink.gif

To program a new key fob into a 6th gen Accord that works on RF follow these instructions below-

This procedure clears the transmitter codes and creates new ones, so you must program all remotes at the same time, even if one or more is already working.

Enter the car, and close all doors.

Each of the following steps must be completed within five seconds of completing the previous step. If you take longer or make a mistake, start the entire procedure over again.

Insert the key into the ignition, and hold one remote in your left hand. Whenever the instructions say to press the LOCK button, you should press the lock button on the remote for about a second and then release it.

Perform each of the following three steps in order, then repeat all three steps two more times, for a total of three times each:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, marked II.
2. Press the LOCK button.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position, marked I.

Do this three times!

Next, turn the ignition switch to the ON position (II) for a fourth time.

Press the LOCK button again. The door locks should now make a cycling sound, indicating that the system has entered Programming Mode.

Press the LOCK button one more time to program this remote. If you have other remotes to program, press the LOCK button on each one in turn. The door locks should make the cycling sound after you press LOCK on each remote. You may program up to three remotes, and they must all be programmed within ten seconds of each other.

Turn the ignition off and remove the key. The remotes are now programmed and may be tested.

If you've got a trunk/hatch release, hold the button for this function for a few seconds to open boot
biggrin.gif

sounds more coplicated then it is
tongue.gif
but if you print these instrutions off then have then will you.

Good luck with the New car my friend
cool.gif
Hi all,
Does anyone know if this is the process to program 8th gen key fobs? I got both keys when I bought my 59 ES GT last week but the battery was dead in one key fob, the other key fob is working fine. I just replaced the battery in it (little red light flashes on button presses) but pushing the button will not unlock the car and unlocking the car using the key sets off the alarm :wacko:

I don't want to get into programming mode and find that the process has changed and cannot get it out of the mode or have two un-programmed keys.

Cheers,
Of for forks sakes

I know I'm reopening an old thread but it was very relevant to me.
My fob stopped working a few days ago so I've been opening the car manually. I tried one of the ways to reprogramme the fob with the instructions in the 7th gen section which didn't appear to work, I tried the method from Tin Man above and it now works!!! Awesome. I love this site!!!