What's new

cv joint?

tbourner

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Abarth 595
Soft rubbing scraping kind of noise that appears to be coming from the front offside. Definitely in time with wheel rotation. I would describe it as a chuffing noise, not particularly loud or worrisome. Only happens when turning right it seems, haven't experimented enough to know if its worse in reverse or neutral.
So would that be a CV joint? What kind of bill am I looking at?

Could be your brakes disc/pads. Either worn or a stone in them. Try (when safe to do so!) giving the brakes a very gentle touch when you hear it and see if it stops.

Haven't tried the brakes yet, I tried coasting this morning and it's still there, sounds like it's actually coming from the left side when turning right. None of the discs are getting abnormally hot and there's no grease anywhere (just passed it's MOT as well).

Everytime I've had a cv joint go they make a horrid loud clicking noise when turning on full lock.

I had irritating light scraping noise on a previous car, only happened on corners if I remember correctly. Turned out it was the brake pad just starting to get down to the wear indicator. You wouldn't expect excessive heat or grease. When it next happens just lightly tap the brakes while still keeping the power on.

Tried braking with power on and off and it still makes the noise.

Doesn't seem to do it on full lock, only in a narrow band of the steering turning right (say in a car park, around the end of a row into the next row, if you know what I mean).

What do they check on the MOT? I guess they don't take it out and go round corners in all manner of different ways so wouldn't have noticed it, but they check all the joints and bushes? Do they check the CVs in any way? They do a brake test, and check the wear? I had no faults or notifications on the MOT.

Could it be a cv boot that's split and the joint is getting dry?

Well since it passed the MOT I doubt it. Plus I did have a fondle and there's no grease anywhere in the vicinity.

Do I need to get it checked out? Is it a death trap if there is a CV issue or will it just be annoying and get noisier?

OK so today in a straight line I gently touched the brakes and heard a very similar noise! But when the noise happens in a right turn using the brakes don't seem to stop it or make it any worse. Odd.

It's definitely making a noise when braking, again not constant just one creak noise every revolution. Sounds like its coming from the back but I think the original noise is on the front - could be wrong though.
Any ideas?

The first thing I would do is get someone to check the pads. It could be a combination of a low pad and a very slight warp in the disc.

If I pull my handbrake gently when moving there's a loud-ish knock, I'm reading it uses shoes inside the disc hub for the handbrake? So could something be amiss inside there that with braking force applied and when going round corners it's catching?

OK so I haven't heard my original turning noise recently, I'll try to make it do it again but the braking noise is worse now - it's a creak when braking any amount with any steering angle, creaks once with each rotation of the wheels - if I'm going really slow (like 2mph) you can actually hear each individual click of the 'creak' noise - so it sounds a bit like a sprung loaded mechanism of some kind? Any ideas what could be causing this and if it's linked with the original turning noise?

Would that be obvious by looking at it without taking it apart? If so it's not that.

Would that be obvious by looking at it without taking it apart? If so it's not that.

Not sure, but I guess it could be possible to be cracked only in the inside, thus not being able to see it without removing that splash guard...