DIY- 2.4 Auto ATF change

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanS

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 EX Tourer ADAS
Did a ATF drain and refill so heres my attempt for a write up.
i strongly reccomend Auto owners to change their fluids as early as poss, do not follow the Honda interval.
you need

1. 3/8" Ratchet
2. Funnel with tubing
3. 2.9L ATF Z1

DSC01403.jpg

Heres what you need to do.
1. Warm the car up
2. Park car on level ground
3. Locate and remove Auto Tranny dipstick (yellow loop)

DSC01395.jpg

4. Remove the plastic under tray, its held on by 4x bolts at each corner, 3x clips at front, 2x in middle, 1x on passenger side arch liner and 2x on driver side.
put them in a container so you dont lose them.

DSC01400.jpg

5.Look under the car and remove the transmission drain bolt with the 3/8" ratchet, my drain bolt was on very tight, so few sprays of WD40 off it came. GET YOUR CONTAINER READY!

DSC01401.jpg

6. Drain all the ATF, approximately 2.9- 3L should come out.

DSC01402.jpg

its looking nasty and the drain bolt is full of sludge.

7. Clean the drain bolt, put a new washer on and reinstall the drain bolt and torque it to 49 Nm/ 36 llbf ft.

8. Insert the hose attached to the funnel and into the dipstick hole, fill with 2.9L of Genuine Honda ATF Z1.
this way it saves messing with pumping fluid into filler hole.

DSC01404.jpg

9. Once you have filled the transmission, put dipstick back in, warm the car, turn it off and check the level.
You have upto 90 seconds to check the level. Job Done!! dont forget to take the old fluid to a local tip for correct disposal.

As you can see the state of the ATF is in at 60k miles, it should be red!!!
Now the gear change have definately improved, particular the jerk from 1st to 2nd are now less obvious.

i'll be doing another change when i've done couple hundred more miles along with a ATF filter change.

Great job mate shocked at the colour of the used ATF :eek:

Great write up Alan.

That blue ATF is so wrong! 75k change intervals? What a joke! I'm going to do my MTF every 2 years.

Why are you changing it again so soon, to give it a flush out?

Yeah just to give it a flush as the drain bolt are full of sludge.
I read that the TSX service manual recommend 3x drain and refill for a proper flush to get rid of the fluids in the torque converter.
But I'll just do 2 x drain and fill then change the ATF every 2 years from now on.

Me too shocked at the colour when it poured out, it's actually dark brown.
How can Honda expect the ATF to last 75,000 miles is shocking.

Yeah my MTF wasn't too clever either, muddy brown with nasty blue tinges floating on top and really thin almost like water. The new stuff was golden amber and thick like clean engine oil. 75k is specified on both European and Worldwide Schedules, although the worldwide says 3 years or 37.5k for 'severe' usage. Maybe 2 years is overkill especially for the manual but for the sake of £20 odd so what.

UPDATED - ATF Filter change

The ATF filter on the K24 ATs sits on top of the transmission's bell housing. here

DSC01391.jpg

Basically this is what you have to do.

- Remove the air box housing for better acess, 2 x 10mm Bolt.
- Remove the 10mm Bolt that holds the filter bracket
- Remove the bracket
- Lift up the filter and place a rag underneath to absord ATF
- Compress the clamps and move it to aside, i just use normal pliers, i think locking pliers will be better for the job.
- Grab one of the hose and filter with your hand and twist them in opposite directions while pulling apart. Do this for other hose.
will be very tight as the tubes probaly have moulded to the filter, dont use tool to grab the hose, you might damage it.
- Connect the new filter to the hoses and put clamps back on
- Replace the bracket and the bolt
- Re-install the air box. tighten the bolts torque to 12Nm if you care.

Did another ATF drain + refill aswell as the filter change, gear change now are even better silky smooth!!

DSC01405.jpg

old filter and part number for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.