What's new

DIY 7th Gen Dipped Beam Headlight Bulb Change

Do it which ever way you can -the main thing is you got your bulbs changed.
I've got average sized hands, but no longer have the car so I can't take any new pictures.
The ones I have on file suggest it was the same as yours...

7thwasherbottle.jpg

Heckler said:
There's no way to move the neck of the washer bottle out of the way, in fact if you undo the supporting bolt on the neck... you can only move it forwards. On a petrol there's loads of room to move it out of the way.
I have a pre-facelift 7th gen diesel (and hands that are at least average size). The top part of the washer bottle filler is fully removable which then, after removing the headlamp screw cap, allows access to the dipped beam lamp. And I don't have to remove the battery to do the passenger side either.

I did originally find that I had to use a mirror-on-a-stick and a torch to work out the clip arrangement for the H1 lamp, but I've now done it so many times that I no longer need the mirror.

Hi Matt - many thanks for the very quick reply - it's appreciated. I will read the step by step, equip myself with screwdriver etc, take a very deep breath and try to sort it out. Unfortunately, it's raining here at the moment so I will tackle it in the morning (no garage).
The bulb is on the n/s and there is a big lump of plastic preventing access - what is that plastic?

I will report back - all fingers crossed!

Silly me - that lump of plastic is the rear of the headlight housing!
What is the correct bulb? Reading through the various replies to this topic it says H1 bulb; the parts store gave me H7. I ***ume the store is using the same database as Halfords?

Owing to recent changes in Photobucket’s image hosting service some of the information contained in this thread may have been lost.

Until I’ve found a suitable alternative image hosting service, and the time to re-write the post I have uploaded the original as a PDF here:

http://jmp.sh/SGnnNzQ

Note that this is also uses a free hosting service, which may change its T&Cs in time, or go off line entirely. Until then though, it may help someone…

Wow - thank you very much for this excellent write up, which I hope to use next time one of my headlamp H1 bulb blows. I was on holiday and my nearside headlight blew, so I went to the local Honda garage to get the bulb replaced as I did not have the facilities to do it myself AND it was raining copiously! Garage replaced the bulb - cost of bulb £7.75 and total cost including VAT was £42.78! So they don't find changing that bulb easy either! The garage service manager was telling me that for some of the accord cars they have to remove the whole front bumper to replace the bulb. He didn't say which ones. He also said that the high voltage bulbs were pigs to replace too, but I don't know what those are. He was of my 'older' generation when we thought progress meant 'better and easier' and erroneously believed that a bulb should be an easy 5 minute consumer fix.

The garage service manager was telling me that for some of the accord cars they have to remove the whole front bumper to replace the bulb. He didn't say which ones.

The 8th gen is a bumper-off job. The handbook shows how to do it through the wheel arch but there's no way that's humanly possible.