What's new

DIY AEM Air Filer Service

Blue Guru

JDM Oz
Reaction score
Car
CL9 Accord Type S
Now im not sure about most folk, but i change the air filter in my car every 6k in time with main services and the interval oil changes. The reason being using an Induction Kit over a standard airbox does seem to turn the oil a bit blacker and dirtier quicker than when using an oem air filter. Once i buy an induction kit for my car, i will also buy and fit a spare air filter the at the next service/oil change. Then for the following service/oil change i will clean my original air filter using the recommended cleaning solution. I have an AEM Short Ram intake and my filters are both the Grey Dryflow types.

The cleaning solution i will be using is the one made by AEM specifically for their air filters, it contains 2 x 12oz bottles and you use both in the cleaning process. It says on the bottles the solution is environmentally friendly but i got a bit on my finger and it stung a wee bit, lol.

Steps:

1. measure the length of the filter and fill a bucket to the required height of the filter with warm water so once placed in the bucket the water does not flow into the filter.

This is important because once you add the cleaning solution it must not flow inside the filter. The water will pass through the filter but as the instructions state the cleaning solution must not be poured inside the filter, only on the outside.

2. Pour the cleaning solution into the bucket and allow to soak for 10 minutes.

3. After 10 minutes move the filter around in the water to loosen any other bits off dirt off the filter, then empty the bucket and again measure the amount of warm water and fill to the required height so the water will not flow into the neck of the filter. Then pour in the 2nd bottle of cleaning solution and leave for another 10 minutes.

4. After 10 minutes, again move the filter around in the water to loosen any remaining particles of dirt off the filter. Again empty the bucket and again fill to the required height with warm water. Now keep moving the filter about in the clean water and check to see if any dirt is visable in the bucket.

5. Repeat the cleaning process with clean water again if necessary as you only need to keep cleaning it till the water stays clear and dirt free.

6. Empy the bucket and allow the filter to air dry. These DryFlow airfilters to not need oiled so you can use it straight away once its dry. I will be leaving mine overnight in the utility room ready to take tomorrow when i go to pick up my car. I have to say though the colour of the filter did look a bit cleaner after I had completed the washing cycle so it appears to have worked.

Only one pic of the process.

26102010523small.jpg

Nice review oz. Will be interested in knowing the final outcome once on the car again

Really, your oil gets blacker with an induction kit, good eye! trying to work out why that be the case tho? breather hose? Anyway nothing like running a freshly clean filter eh! Hair dryer for rapid drying time!

i first noticed it on my vti, because it was a cold air and sat really low it did get visually dirty as its an open air element. My vti had 22k on the clock when i bought it and the oil was golden but changed about 6 months after. I soon sold the aem intake and went with a spoon panel filter with a modded resonator takin a cold air feed from the foglight duct. It stayed a much more cleaner colour for longer.

I had anticipated this when buyin the kit for my accord but was only sure at the first interval oil change.