What's new

DIY Sat Nav Install

Jacko

Members
Reaction score
Car
55 Tourer CDTI
Had a wee idea seeing as the accord i'm [icking up doesn't have sat nav and heard the Honda ones aren't much cope anyway so i had an idea that while installing an xcarlink cable for my iphone that i could mount the cable coming in from the back of the centre storage box and make a small box and fix it into the storage box so that i can fix the sat nav to that, means i'll have a wee sat nav hard mounted and it'll be hidden when i close the flap. was planning on making the box out of a polystyrene block or something and covering it in some black suede i have lying about. I'll be leaving a small gap at the side for the iphone cable to sit

Hope this makes sense but anyone tried anything like this themselves?

John

satnav.jpg

Basically a quick paint job to show my idea

The orange cable is the sat nav power cable coming in under the polystyrene box which is in red on the left. and the right cable, Green one is the iphone cable and the side on pic is just for a scale idea of what i'm planning

Any ideas or tips would be appreciated

You will probably have a lot of signal drop out's locating it there, You better fitting a standalone double din in that location that will do gps amongst other things. I just don't see the point in mounting a tom tom just shove it in the glove when not using?

Hmm, might do a test just sitting it in there to see how the signal is then

I just fancied having it held solid there as I hate sticking them on the window as it makes massive rings that are a pain to remove. Plus I like wee projects haha

Check the signal before hand though :D post a pic too :)

Yeah gonna do that first. Just thought itd be fine as I usually sit my sat nav in that place on my other cars just now and works perfect

Hope it works as I think it could look cool

Will do a DIY how to if it works :)

You could always find a stand alone unit with an external aerial facility.