DIY - Window felt

alnug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
Jaguar XF S
I'll add some photos here soon.

I don't know if some oif you have noticed. Sometimes on the Newer series Accord you can get a clicking noise coming from the window area. Initially i thought it was the hard window rubber surrounding. It wasn't. If you look at the bottom of the window..right at the top of the door card, you'll see what appears to be a rubber fin...this can occassion click against the window...seems more so when the window is dirty.

I've added some felt here to get rid of the click noise and also to prevent the scraping noise you can get from the window when rolling down. The plastic is quite hard and if you have tints you'd really want to add felt to prevent scratches by this!

TOOLS
- trim puller - or a plastic scraper like you use for scraping ice off windscreen - or any other tool you use to pull the trim off.
- The workshop CD is VERY useful here also :thumbsup
- screwdriver
- felt
- cleaning agent to remove grease of the plastic before applying felt

HOW TO

ok i will ***ume you've got the door card off following the instructions in the workshop manual (if you don't have one pm me)...I'm not going to go through how you get the door panel off here. I've got a picture below showing the door panel and where the clips are so you know where to lever.
door.jpg

Here is the door strip at the top of the panel removed. Those two fins are quite hard and cause the clicking noise and can scratch tint :cry:
doorstrip1.jpg

Here it is after felt is applied. I've had this on for two years now and no problems....others who has simply stuck any old felt on have had problems with smearing etc.

The secret is in the quality of the adhesive used and also the cleaning of the part before applying....use a good degreaser to clean the part before sticking the felt on.
doorstrip2.jpg

Here is another pic
doorstrip3.jpg

I got the felt from a friend it's quite hard to come by if anyone is planning to do this and can't find the right stuff pm me and I'll try and sort you out.

If you don' feel up to applying the felt. I'd be willing to help out.

Hope you find this useful....expecially for those with tints! ;)