What's new

Does brand and pleats of an air filter matter?

ExpandWeiner

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2004
Seeing as how picky the diesel variant of the 7th gen can be about its fuel filter, it got me thinking about what kind of a difference the air filter brand and pleat count can make, seeing as how air is even more important for diesels than a petrol. The OE part number for the air filter is 17220RBDE00, yet not all the air filters that match this part number look the same. The green filter is the Honda Genuine air filter claims to use a viscous type of filter. Viscous type air filters have a special oil applied to the paper. It also has a pleat count of 126 on each side. The white filter is from Bosch, although other brands such as FRAM, MANN and Hengst have a similar, if not the same design with a pleat count of 68 on each side. However the more recognisable brands with the lower pleat count often cost more than the high pleat count ones and they don't claim an oil coating. What gives? In theory a lower pleat count means better airflow at the expense of filtering quality and vice versa with a higher pleat count, but this does not account for the filter material quality. Sounds stupid, but would the filter colour make any kind of a difference? I'd like to hear your opinions :)

Attachments

• 17220RBDE00.jpg
    17220RBDE00.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 4
  • preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
In theory more pleats and the larger area they cover will allow more air to pass. I have tried more induction kits and stock panel filters than i can remember over the years both petrol diesel and they make no difference imo.
On a standard road car the standard air filter is fine.The key is making sure its clean but as they are pleated they can get pretty mucky before theyll show a noteable loss of performance.
I suppose opt for a greater number of folds as you would get longer out of it but as its changed each year at service it will never get dirty enough to matter.

Personally I like the stock Honda ones, they do a great job of catching dirt. I think the plain non oiled ones are cheaper but why would Honda go to all the trouble of speccing an oiled filter if it wasn't necessary?

I'm running these:

They fit, the car goes, and I change the filter every oil change. I usually find a bit of dirt, some leaves and occasionally a small possum trapped in the old filter.

The only filter where the brand is important is the diesel fuel filter, which has to be Bosch. Any other brand will make you post a mystery engine problem to this forum, and you will have to suffer a gauntlet of "we told you so"s when you owe up to not running a Bosch. It is almost as bad a confession as not running 0W-30.