What's new

Door speakers wiring

waj1974

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord i-ctdi
Anyone know which speaker wires are positive and negative in the front doors of the accord ctdi??? I was stupid enough to cut off the speaker plugs when installing aftermarket speakers but need to know the right colour wires as i want to go back to the stock speakers....

I doubt it matters bud...

I doubt it matters bud...
It does Dan, you have to ensure that both speakers have the same palarity so they could have the wires either way but the key thing is all speakers have the correct polarity and move the same direction. Can you not just look at theconnector you cut off and work from there?

jeez Dan. of course it matters. you can't wire positive to negative etc. :)

if you attach the wires to the speake before fully fitting them, Put a bassy track on the cd player and if the cone moves outwith the bass the wires are correct. if the cone moves inwards they are the wrong way round, swap them over.

Then wouldn't there either be a slightly different sized connector or some marking on one of the cables?

jeez Dan. of course it matters. you can't wire positive to negative etc. :)

if you attach the wires to the speake before fully fitting them, Put a bassy track on the cd player and if the cone moves outwith the bass the wires are correct. if the cone moves inwards they are the wrong way round, swap them over.
Providing that all speaker cones move in the same direction it doesn't really matter but outward movement is preffered

thanx guys, i didnt keep the connectors doh threw them away ages ago doh i will go with what crespo says and see if that works....

Normally the positive wire is marked by some way, either a white stripe or the colour is red. If you have other colours, I'm afraid you'll either have to find a service manual or just experiment.

I agree with Dan, though its nice obviously but it doesn't matter @ speakers ends unless the other speakers are wired differently then the music will be out of phase. so the most important thing is make sure all wiring corresponds and matches up.

David given the wiring, so it all good anyway.

I studied music technology and it doesn't matter. You would sometimes deliberately connect speakers out of phase when recording vocals to reduce the sound picked up from the speakers. To the ear the difference is negligible but to a microphone it can make a fair difference.

I studied music technology and it doesn't matter. You would sometimes deliberately connect speakers out of phase when recording vocals to reduce the sound picked up from the speakers. To the ear the difference is negligible but to a microphone it can make a fair difference.

I beg to differ. i wired my speakers wrong and it sounded shat until i wired them the correct way. They have positive and negative for a reason.

Which is?

Which is?
They sound better when wired correctly. :D

There are no polarity on any single speaker. If 2 or more speakers are to be connected, the way they should be connected is in parallel, so that when one membrane is going out, the others does so too. And not going in the wrong direction.
That is why most speakers have a red dot on one of the terminals. Just to show their way of how the coil is set up.

I beg to differ. i wired my speakers wrong and it sounded shat until i wired them the correct way. They have positive and negative for a reason.

Wonder if it was due to us using reference quality equipment in a studio then.

But there is nowt to stop you - it won't harm anything, just it might sound odd. :rolleyes: Then again it might not. :rolleyes: Speakers are just magnets and cones. The polarity won't cause a rip in the space time continuum.

And before you ask - yes I do make sure speakers at home are wired the right way round. But only because it is is easy to do so. I might reverse the polarity just to see how much difference it makes.

It will not harm the speakers but you will experience a big loss in bass frequencies.

The coil and cone is designed to push out with Bass, if the polarity is wrong they move inwards and greatly reduce bass.

if you have a pair and one is wired correctly and one is wired wrong you can fade to one side and it will sound normal but if you have the sound centred it will sound horrible. If both a wired incorrectly it will just sound pants.
It is all to do with the coil and cone.

Wonder if it was due to us using reference quality equipment in a studio then.

I have a pair of Tannoy PBM 6.5 studio monitors at home wired up to a mix of Cambridge Audio and Denon separates. If you have the polarity wrong it stands out like a sore thumb. It may not be so noticeable on lower end Sony speakers for example but im pretty sure you would notice it.

You can invert the signal on high end car stereos for subs that are installed inverted in a box im guessing. I won't harm the speaker. Amps another story.
Its good practice to wire them up properly, it shows you know what your doing :lol:

Im not a auto electrician but a spark regards/ and most 12v appliance are not polarity conscience as long as all things are wired in the same way.
An example in 230V systems is a light bulb the live and neutral just passes through the lamp creating heat and light through a resister and will work the same if in reverse.

Unless of course you are using rectification in which case polarity is vital.

yep very true Dan.Im trying to think of the name of a diod that is put in circuits to enable polarity control.
this brings me back to my college days lol

In modern vehicle wiring systems polarity is very important, due to the number of microprocessors built in to them.

The only diodes I get to play with are there to stall electric motors by filtering out half the A/C sine wave.

Anyone know which speaker wires are positive and negative in the front doors of the accord ctdi??? I was stupid enough to cut off the speaker plugs when installing aftermarket speakers but need to know the right colour wires as i want to go back to the stock speakers....

yh if im right earth will be completly black and live will have a coloured line through it most of the time its a white stripe

has anyone done a build up of how to take the door cars off the look fukin hard to do and i dnt wanna wreck mine lol