What's new

drive shaft

nduli

Members
Reaction score
Car
CDTI exec saloon
so first news out of checkup at hh is that the clutch didn't definitely need doing right away but pedal was low etc and if i could occasionally get it to slip then not worth the risk - so have gone with it getting done (prays for no DMF issues when they pop the lid)

however there was a reasonable amount of play in the driveshaft - been quoted £400 - has anyone else had one done and have you gone outside honda to get it done if so what was the price ?

if there is play in the drive shaft can i put this off safely for a month or two to get some money back in the piggy bank?

there has been lots of threads on drive shafts lately so have a search.
I it was me i would get it done right away and by hh

there has been lots of threads on drive shafts lately so have a search.
I it was me i would get it done right away and by hh

brett,

thanks for advice but after a thoroughly depressing thousand pound day on a clutch and DMF (LUK one fitted) the drive shaft is just gonna have to wait a little, especially as tax is due this month as well as insurance mid next month :-(

looks like the kids are off caviar and toast for breakfast and the missus will have to take back this months jimmy choos.......(if only)

ouch sorry to hear that.
I still don't no why you didn't take the car back from where you brought it

ouch sorry to hear that.
I still don't no why you didn't take the car back from where you brought it

brett, not repeatable at will but i know its there i have seen it 5-6 times on the mway, they check it out and couldn't fault it - which i knew would happen, i could wait and see it fail and definately knacker the dmf or i could just get it done and get it off my mind, just unlucky the dmf needed doing at the same time it was right on the limit at 37mm :-( so a no brainer.

will probably go and see them about the drive shaft.

Are you experiencing any wobbles/judders when accelerating, usually around 50-60? Having faffed around with non-oem shafts and second hand ones, I'd probably advise to just spend the money on a new one and know that its job done. I've driven for a fair few miles with driveshaft problems but if it's not too bad you can sometimes "drive around" the judders or avoid certain speeds etc. I'm not sure if play in the driveshaft would cause any long damage to the rest of the drive train but if you've just had money spent on DMFs and clutches it might be better getting it seen to as soon as you can afford it.

If I was replacing one on the petrol I would buy a second hand Honda one from ebay or a breakers, and fit it myself or get a mobile mechanic to come and fit it.

A 2nd hand one on the diesel might be a bit riskier though but it may solve the problem at least in the short term.

I guess the real issue is whether you get an aftermarket driveshaft or not.

I put an aftermarket one on my last car but I wouldn't do it again because the boot only lasted 18 months.

good advice guys - thanks for the help

HH proposed a better price that originally quoted -possibly after having pick me off the floor after the clutch and DMF bill :)

i have another noise i want to look at (it sounds "throaty" on acceleration ie not as smooth as i remember my old accord (4yrs ago) being). A good colleague is lending me their car to run up the M621 on monday to see if its the same, if not i'll get it back to hh and probably get the driveshaft done then....just hope the "throatyness" is not something serious the new quote from hh i can probably just push too just not much more. shame cause yesterday binned the "xcarlink, reverse sensors and alloy refurb" or "ipad2" budget in one go :-(

so first news out of checkup at hh is that the clutch didn't definitely need doing right away but pedal was low etc and if i could occasionally get it to slip then not worth the risk - so have gone with it getting done (prays for no DMF issues when they pop the lid)

however there was a reasonable amount of play in the driveshaft - been quoted £400 - has anyone else had one done and have you gone outside honda to get it done if so what was the price ?

if there is play in the drive shaft can i put this off safely for a month or two to get some money back in the piggy bank?

I had both my driveshfts replaced last year and it cost me £450 fully fitted by an independant garage in Yeovil, Somerset.

I bought a genuine complete driveshaft for my type s - got my local garage to fit it for half the labour cost....car has been fine since :)

I bought a genuine complete driveshaft for my type s - got my local garage to fit it for half the labour cost....car has been fine since :)

replaced the driver side drive shaft on saturday as that had the play it and its not sorted it. After speaking to garage i'm going to leave it a couple of months and see if the problem develops as i am guessing its passenger related as having read the posts thats the most obvious cause....